Black Glutinous Ang Ku Kuih
My hubby, me and the kids went to pay respect to my hubby's ancestors this morning at Kajang cemetery. Yeah, it's 'Qing Ming' festival ! 'Qing Ming' festival also called as Ancestor Day and it's a traditional Chinese festival on the 104th day after the winter solstice.The 'Qing Ming' Festival is an opportunity for celebrants to remember and honour their ancestors at graves sites. Young and old pray before the ancestors, sweep the tombs and offer food, tea, wine, joss sticks/incense, joss paper accessories, and/or libation to the ancestors. Further infor regarding 'qing ming', please click here.
And this year, I have prepared black glutinous ang ku kuih, traditional malay steamed cake, hakka hee ban and white coffee hazelnut chiffon cake for the festival. And here's the recipe for my black glutinous ang ku kuih.
50gm rice flour
150gm glutinous rice flour
100gm black glutinous rice flour
Mung Bean Filling :
400gm skinless mung bean
8 tbsp sugar
- rinse mung bean thoroughly and soak for 4 hour.
- then steam for an hour and mash while it's still hot.
- add in sugar and stir till well mixed while it's still hot.
- divide mashed mung bean into 35gm each (for large mould).
* for softer paste, add in one cup of water to mung bean when steaming.
- combine ingredients (A) and boil untill turned into thick paste.
- combine both glutinous rice flour and sugar, rub in ingredient (A).
- then slowly stir in water to form a soft dough.
- finally, add in oil slowly and knead till smooth.
- divide dough into 35gm per ball (for large mould).
- flatten dough and wrap in a mashed mung bean ball.
- press dough into the mould and knock the mould gently to dislodge the dough.
- then place moulded dough onto a banana leave.
- steam over medium heat for 10 mins.
- and then serve.
I made the mung bean paste the night before. And you can always make extra for other desserts. Mung bean paste can be kept in the refrigerator for quite sometime.
My in-laws and other family members love it so much. I like this recipe very much too. As the texture of the skin is not too gluey and the paste is just right. I definitely will make another batch of these soon.