Saturday, April 3, 2010

Black Glutinous Ang Ku Kuih

My hubby, me and the kids went to pay respect to my hubby's ancestors this morning at Kajang cemetery. Yeah, it's 'Qing Ming' festival ! 'Qing Ming' festival also called as Ancestor Day and it's a traditional Chinese festival on the 104th day after the winter solstice.The 'Qing Ming' Festival is an opportunity for celebrants to remember and honour their ancestors at graves sites. Young and old pray before the ancestors, sweep the tombs and offer food, tea, wine, joss sticks/incense, joss paper accessories, and/or libation to the ancestors. Further infor regarding 'qing ming', please click here.

And this year, I have prepared black glutinous ang ku kuih, traditional malay steamed cake, hakka hee ban and white coffee hazelnut chiffon cake for the festival. And here's the recipe for my black glutinous ang ku kuih.

Ingredients :
(A)
125ml water
50gm rice flour

(B)
125ml water
30gm sugar
150gm glutinous rice flour
100gm black glutinous rice flour
70ml oil

Mung Bean Filling :

400gm skinless mung bean
8 tbsp sugar

- rinse mung bean thoroughly and soak for 4 hour.
- then steam for an hour and mash while it's still hot.
- add in sugar and stir till well mixed while it's still hot.
- divide mashed mung bean into 35gm each (for large mould).
* for softer paste, add in one cup of water to mung bean when steaming.

Method :

- combine ingredients (A) and boil untill turned into thick paste.
- combine both glutinous rice flour and sugar, rub in ingredient (A).
- then slowly stir in water to form a soft dough.
- finally, add in oil slowly and knead till smooth.
- divide dough into 35gm per ball (for large mould).
*
- flatten dough and wrap in a mashed mung bean ball.
- press dough into the mould and knock the mould gently to dislodge the dough.
- then place moulded dough onto a banana leave.
- steam over medium heat for 10 mins.
- and then serve.

I made the mung bean paste the night before. And you can always make extra for other desserts. Mung bean paste can be kept in the refrigerator for quite sometime.

My in-laws and other family members love it so much. I like this recipe very much too. As the texture of the skin is not too gluey and the paste is just right. I definitely will make another batch of these soon.

39 comments:

smallkucing said...

Those are lovely. I never had black ones before

lostpastremembered said...

I love your masthead!!! I have never seen these cakes... how cool are they? Love the color and the mold. So glad I stopped by!

Trix said...

Wow, these look amazing. SO beautiful.

Claudia said...

These are scrumptious delectable treats. So colorful and welcoming and sweet for remembrances.

Jeannie said...

Hmmm...I love angku kuih too.. been a while since I last made it. Yours looks lovely, the patterns are so clear.

Lyndsey said...

I have never tried anything like this. What a beautiful treat these are. I love the mold you used, you make everything so pretty!

elra said...

Beautiful kueh Kristy!

Happy Easter!

My Little Space said...

SKucing : Thanks! I think these are available anywhere around KL!

LPM : Welcome on board, there! Hope to hear from you more often.

Trix : Thanks alot!

Claudia : Thanks very much!

jeannie : Yeah, I think I've found a great recipe for this angku kuih!

Lynd : Thanks so much for your kind words, dear!

Elra : Thank you very much!

Hope you all have a fabulous day and Happy Easter Day to all as well!

Blessing,
Kristy

wendyywy @ Table for 2 or more..... said...

They look very well done.
You oiled your hands when u wrapped them?
Or did you flour your hands?

Heavenly Housewife said...

You have a wonderful way of making everything look so beautiful. Hope you have a great weekend.
*kisses* HH

alison said...

wonderful kristy,your tradition!

Vanillastrawberryspringfields said...

What a lovely traditonal bake these are and i so love those mould u have ...super fantastic as ever...and super sparkly twinkling easter to ya ...

Chow and Chatter said...

nice festival they do something similar in India, i love your blog and learning about your culture and food much love Rebecca

Alice Law said...

Hi! Found a handy mommy here! ^-^

So, it's the black glutinuos rice that gives the skin purplish colour... it looks delicious!

Peanutts said...

Never saw black ones ,always the pink kuih. Looks quite pretty too. Hope you have lovely week

Cristie said...

What a fun tradition, they look delicious. Thanks for stopping by my famiy blog, my food blog is at www.TheTableRunner.com :)

Divina Pe said...

Where' mine Kristy? :) That looks really good.

reanaclaire said...

my goodness Kristy, u r fantastic!! *salute* this one i heard is quite difficult to do.. well, everything seems difficult to me i guess. :)

penny aka jeroxie said...

It has been awhile since I have a ang ku kuih. This is the first time I have seen a black one.

MaryMoh said...

Wow...that looks very unique and delicious. I would love to make but I don't think I can find black glutinous rice flour here....how frustrating :( Kristy, I think you should make this for me :P

pegasuslegend said...

a true work of art here! simply gorgeous.

My Little Space said...

Wendy : The dough itself already very oily. So, you don't need to put anything else.

HH : Thanks and you too!

Alison : Thank you and hope you'll enjoy reading the tradition info as well.

VanillaSSF : Thank you very much!

Rebecca : Hope you like to read about the history of this tradition too.

Alice : Welcome to my humble little space! Hope to hear from you more often.

Peanutts : Thanks and you too!

Christie : Thank you for the info. Will drop by soon.

Divina : Oops.. you've to wait me at the ohter side of your printer. hehehe....

Claire : I believe you can make this too. Not as difficult as you think actually!

Penny : Yeap, this is the black one, daaahling!

MaryMoh : But by the time you receive it, I don't think you can still eat them!!!

Claudia : Thanks a lot!

Best wishes to all and have a wonderful day!

Cheers always,
Kristy

cherry potato said...

这个我也喜欢吃,只是从来都没做过.现在就吃你做的咯!

Angie's Recipes said...

How cute!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Looks delicious! Beautiful photos!

Cheah said...

Mmm... ang ku is one of my favourite kueh, especially if it's pandan flavoured.

Pete said...

Oh, made from black glutinous rice....I thought it was colouring when I ate them last time! LOL!

Elin said...

Kristy...you are awesome...great angkoo. Thanks for shring :)))

kathyvegas said...

I just love your photos! I feel as if I can actually taste all of the beautful things you make. Your food is art!

My Little Space said...

Chin : You're always welcome!

Angie : Thanks!

Andrea : Thank you!

Cheah : OK then, now you can make your own pandan flavour one!

Pete : It's 100% natural colour!

Elin : Thank you!

Kathy : Nice to hear from you, there! Hope to see you more often.

Thanks for stoppng by guys and hope you all have a wonderful day!

Regards,
Kristy

Blessed Homemaker said...

I love this kuih! Used to prefer the peanut version when I was a child but have now learnt to appreciate mung bean filling instead. Hope to get a chance to try my hands on these.

Anncoo said...

How come I missed this post? I love black glutinous especially the savory one fried with shallot oil. But this one here looks very yummy too!

petite nyonya said...

i love koo..whether black or red. delicious!

alwayswinner786 said...

I never have those black beauty but it surely taste delicious!

hasegawa maya said...

i've made this for 2 times and my family love it very much!
tq for your recipe!!

Hien said...

Your Ang Koo Kueh looks lovely . If I am using a wooden mould do I have to dust the mould with flour or brush oil on the mould?

My Little Space said...

Hi Hien, welcome to my little space & thanks for visiting. No matter what kind of mould you're using, still the best to brush on some oil cause the dough is quite sticky! Flour is not encourageable. Because it will damage & harden the skin after steamed.

Hope you're having fun!

Cheers, Kristy

mkhine said...

Hi Kristy, thanks for poasting this sweet snack..as my husband loves this since he was young n I have been unable to make it right until i found your blog! We r from burma and Aung Ku was usually seen in bright pink color..other than that , everything I saw here look pretty much the same. So excited to try it out ! Thanks again!

My Little Space said...

Hi mkhine,
You're most welcome and thanks so much for stopping by and glad you like this recipe as well. Hope your family will enjoy this.
All the best.
Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...