Monday, July 31, 2017
Chinese Thousands Layer Steamed Cake 千层油糕
480gm all purpose flour
20gm corn flour
2-1/2 tspn yeast
1 tspn baking powder
2 TB cooking oil
2 TB shortening
Ingredients for custard paste :
35gm custard powder
3 TB water
3 TB melted butter
(combine all ingredients and mix till cooperated)
* 1 cup rough sugar for sprinkle
(1) to prepare bun dough, combine both flour, sugar & yeast into mixing bowl and mix well.
(2) dissolved baking powder into water then stir into flour mixture, at the same time add in cooking oil.
(3) stir mixture till soft dough is formed then add in shortening and continue kneading till smooth.
(4) then let dough to rest for an hour or till double in size, make sure to cover dough with plastic wrap or damp towel.
(5) once its ready, punch dough to release excess air and knead till smooth.
(6) place dough to slightly floured working table, then flatten it with a rolling pin into 36x12" sheet.
(7) spread custard paste onto 2/3 of the sheet and sprinkle on some sugar.
(8) next, fold dough into 3 layer folding then again flatten it with rolling pin into 36x12" sheet, as shown in pictures.
(12) now, make the final 3 layer folding then place folded dough onto a parchment paper or silicon sheet and let to rest for 30 minutes.
(14) when done, off the heat and let steamed bun rest for 5 minutes with lid on before serving.