Kuih Gula Hagus @ Black Treacle Honey Comb Cake
3/4 cups sugar **(original 1-1/4 cup)
1 cup hot water **
4 TB black treacle sauce
125gm butter, melted
4 large eggs, do not beat
50ml full cream milk
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tspn baking soda
1 tspn vanilla essence
**I used 3/4 cup sugar mix with 1 cup hot water and boil till sugar dissolved then stir in 4 TB black treacle syrup(store bought) till dissolved. Set aside to cool.
Homemade Black Treacle :
Melt sugar over very low heat till sugar turns brown and runny then slowly add in hot water a tablespoon at a time till everything dissolved. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Make sure you don't burnt the melting sugar.
(1) place eggs into a big mixing bowl, roughly stir it with a spoon the add in melted butter, milk & vanilla essence and stir to mix well. Make sure you don't whisk the mixture.
(2) now blend together flour & baking soda to mix well, then stir dry ingredients into egg mixture till well incorporate.
(3) then add in treacle mixture and continue stirring till everything well mixed.
(4) pour batter to a greased 7" baking tray and let it sit for 5 hours (which will gives the best result) fermentation.
(5) finally, bake at preheated oven 170'C for 45 minutes or till tester came out clean. Leave to cool completely before slicing.