Sunday, January 9, 2011

Malaysian Style Pandan 'Ma Lai Go'

Here's another version of our local Malay cake. The recipe was given by a friend. I have another version which was posted long ago, again was also given by a friend. But not many of them get the exact texture successfully even it's the original recipe. Though it's much fluffier compare to other versions. I'll try my best to find out the causes. So, just be a little patience.

This recipe is adapted from one of our local cookbook author, Mdm Wong.

Ingredients :
Starter Dough :
150gm bread flour
150ml warm water
1-1/4 tspn yeast
(combine all ingredients and leave to rest for at least 2 hours)

Main Dough :
200gm sugar
1 tbsp honey
1/4 tspn salt
7 large eggs
60gm superfine flour
50ml corn oil
2 tspn pandan paste
1 tspn baking powder
1 tspn baking soda
1/8 tspn alkaline water
2 tbsp water

Method :
(1) combine starter dough, sugar, honey and salt untill sugar dissolved.
(2) stir in eggs, corn oil & flour and beat well.
(3) strain mixture and then leave to proof for 12 hours or overight.
(4) then the next day, combine baking powder, baking soda, alkaline and water.
(5) stir mixture to the batter and mix well.
(6) pour batter to a 8" baking tray lined with greese proof paper.
(7) let it stand for another an hour and then steam over high heat for 35-40mins.
(8) remove cake from tin immediately and leave to cool ASAP.

You may also use a 7" tray and the cake will look taller.

The cake turned out successfully and very tasty too ! Yet I still prefer the older version. I think I will try to change the propotion in the starter dough and see what will happen.

I'm sending this to 3 Hungry Tummies @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday, Lyndz @ Tailgating Time & Chaya @ Meatless Monday.

34 comments:

Martha (MM) said...

Yum! Can you send some over I'm starving and this looks great!

Chow and Chatter said...

i wish I could taste it love the texture

happy new year

Rebecca

Angie's Recipes said...

Kristy, you are a pro. :-) Your pandan ma lai cake looks gorgeous with perfect texture.

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

looks yum,delicious n truly mouthwatering,,lovely texture,amazing pics...

Fimère said...

quelle belle texture il a l'air délicieux bravo

Medeja said...

It's something unusual, interesting cake. Looks really interesting :)

Jeannie said...

Kristy, you seem to be able to make this kuih so effortlessly! I tried once and failed miserably...till now still dare not try again lol!

lena said...

i agree, there are different versions available everywhere, some with honeycombe effect and some none. I think this pandan version is quite interesting. the last time i made with honeycombe effect, it was a disastrous and without the honeycombe , it was very much better.

j3ss kitch3n said...

kristy the honeycombe texture is so beautifully done!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Oh, I love mai lai go, but only had the yellow kind. This makes it so much more interesting...plus, thanks for the recipe because I never knew how it was made.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I have never seen a cake that looks like that before and green as wel:)) I would like to try it. Diane

Pegasuslegend said...

amazing color here and lovely cake~

Brownieville Girl said...

the texture looks really unusual - I'd love to taste it.

elra said...

That look so pretty and yummy !

Lyndsey said...

These desserts always fascinate me, especially the old recipe you posted. I am curious on how they taste. At least I now know what pandan flavor tastes like. Lovely cake Kristy, could you please pass...oh the plate is empty, maybe next time! :D

Bridgett said...

This looks amazing, Kristy! I would love to have a taste.

Anncoo said...

First time I see a pandan ma lai gao. Looks so good with pandan flavor, wish I can try some :)

5 Star Foodie said...

I love the color and the texture of this cake - would love to try it!

Jet said...

Wow! Looks so good! Love the texture and the color. Thanks for sharing.

Hayley said...

Wooo I love this kuih! I also like the brown type one...
yummy yummy~

3 hungry tummies said...

I love everything with pandan flavour and thanks for another wonderful entry Kristy!

Heavenly Housewife said...

That is the most incredible texture!
*kisses* HH

penny aka jeroxie said...

hmmm.. I have yet to try this... another to my to do list for this year.

Barbara said...

Oh Kristy, I wish I lived near you so I could run over and taste this! I'm fascinated by the texture...

Martha (MM) said...

So glad you lined this up for tailgating time this week - it's so different, I'd love to try it! :-)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Wow, first the honeycomb effect in the cake looks great! And the pandan flavor must be super fragrant! Always find something uniquely good when I visit your blog. :) great one Kristy! :)

Mary said...

It looks like this is not a sweet cake. It certainly has wonderful color. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Shirley said...

What a texture Kristy!

Cheah said...

Wow looks nice and soft, Kristy!

MaryMoh said...

The texture of this cake looks very interesting...2 different layers of textures. With the pandan, I'm sure it tastes very delicious. Hope everything's great on your side.

Elin said...

Kristy...I made this before and it is good. Yours is Pandan taste...great one too. Thanks for being so innovative. Have a nice day Kristy...God's blessing too :)

Elin

Velva said...

Look at the texture of that cake-amazing!!!!

Debbie said...

I agree. The texture and color are so interesting. I'm anxious to give this a try.

shaz said...

Ha, another one of my favourites. Never tried pandan version before. Must look at your other recipes and try the original one. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...