HOW TO CLEAN & PICK FERN SHOOTS :
(1) try to start from the bottom, from breaking it step by step.
(2) only take the breakable top part, discard the rest.
(3) then halves or even quarter them till you get really thin stem.
(4) finally, wash and rinse with clean water.
And the following is my favourite fern shoot dish, 'pucuk paku masak lemak' !
'Pucuk Paku' ~ wild fern shoots
'masak lemak' ~ cooked in creamy coconut gravy
600gm cleaned wild fern shoots
1-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup coconut milk
salt to taste
Pounded paste :
3 cloves garlic
a few slices fresh ginger
4 bird eyes chillies
1/2 tspn turmeric powder (or fresh turmeric)
handful of dried shrimps, soaked (optional)
(1) preheat frying pan with enough cooking oil.
(2) add in pounded ingredients and saute untill fragrant.
(3) add in water and salt, bring to boil.
(4) place in the clean fern shoots and cook for about 2 mins.
(5) finally, add in coconut milk and cook for another 2 mins.
(6) off the heat, once the fern shoots became tender.
Are you salivating? :o) Well.... I am !
I'm sending this to 3 Hungry Tummies @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.