Did you notice that we have all kinds of imported green vegetables from China at our local market place recently? And the price is quite reasonable as well. I seldom eat 'Kai Lan' or Chinese broccoli and so is hubby. But I really wanted to give this baby 'Kai Lan' a try.
And here's what I did.
300gm baby 'kai Lan'
1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
2 shallots, sliced
1 tbsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp grounded dried shrimp/minced meat
XO Sauce Seasoning :
1 tbsp XO or Brandy
1-1/2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tspn light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp water
1/2 tspn cornstarch
(combine all and mix well)
(1) preheat a pot of water with 2 tbsp of cooking oil.
(2) cook baby 'kai lan' over boiling water for about one(1) mins.
(3) drained and leave aside.
(4) preheat a frying pan/wok with enough cooking oil.
(5) sautee ginger, shallots, garlic & dried shrimp/meat untill fragrant.
(6) stir in cooked baby 'kai Lan' and cook for about one(1) min.
(7) finally, add in seasoning and cook over high heat untill thickened.
(8) off the heat and serve hot.
Clean and cut baby 'Kai Lan' using the same method as cleaning wild fern shoots. Split the stem into half or even quartered them. And always remember to add in oil when cooking any green leaves in boiling water. This is to prevent or minimize clorophyll, the pigment releasing from the leaves. So that the vegetables always stay green and pretty even after cooked.