Thursday, January 6, 2011

Baked Ricotta Caramel Cheese Cake

I'm not sure how many of you familiar with ricotta cheese cake! Because I don't see any using ricotta cheese in your bake goods often. Maybe because it's not easy to get it here! Or maybe it's more expensive compare to cream cheese. Actually, it is not expensive at all if you're willing to spend just half an hour time to make your own fresh ricotta. You can roughly get 250gm or more of ricotta cheese from one Litre of full cream milk. See, what I mean!

And here's the recipe.

Ingredients for Biscuit Base :
180gm digestive biscuit, finely crushed
70gm ground toasted almond
145gm butter, melted
(combine all ingredients and mix well, the press to a 9" spring form pan & keep refrigerated/freeze it untill set)

Ingredients for Ricotta Cheese Filling :
250gm homemade ricotta cheese, at room temperature
250gm cream cheese, softened
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cups brown sugar
150gm plain yogurt
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp instant coffee powder (+ 1 tbsp water)

Method :
(1) combine all ingredients in a big mixing bowl except coffee powder.
(2) beat all ingredients untill creamy & well mixed.
(3) pour 3/4 of batter into prepared biscuit based pan.
(4) combine coffee paste with the other 1/4 of batter, mix to combine.
(5) pour the coffee mixture over to the 3/4 of batter.
(6) make a swirl by using a fork or knife.
(7) finally, water bath bake at preheated oven at 175-180'C for about 1 hour & 30mins or untill set in the centre.
(8) leave cool completely before refrigerated over night.

In this recipe, you can either use 500gm of ricotta cheese & omit the cream cheese; or you use both. Ricotta cheese is unlike cream cheese! The texture is crumbly compare to cream cheese. What about serving it with some homemade creme fraiche! Olala.... Je suis sûr que tu vas aimer ça? Excuse me! Did I just speak french? :o) haha.... Enjoy & have fun!
*
Homemade Creme Fraiche :
1 cup heavy cream /dairy whipping cream
1/3 cup plain yogurt
*
Method :
(1) combine both ingredients together in a container, glass jar preferred.
(2) mix well with a clean dry spoon.
(3) Cover securely and leave to rest overnight in a warm place.
(or you may cover the container with a piece of tower)
(4) when the cream looks thick & slightly set, then it's ready to use.
(5) keep the leftover cream refrigerated up to 12 days.

36 comments:

Zoe said...

Happy 2011, Kristy! I love Ricotta cheesecake. This one is so good with caramel. Got to bookmark this!

penny aka jeroxie said...

Is this cake light? I have used ricotta once and did not work out the way I wanted it to.

My Little Space said...

Zoe : Hope you will like this! Lucky you, can easily get those readymade ricotta over your side but not here!

Penny : Nope, it's not a light cake! It's pretty much like those New York cheese cake but with crumble texture. Wish you luck!

Thank you very much for stopping by ladies. Hope you will like this cake and enjoy your day.

Cheers, Kristy

Jeannie said...

I love cheesecakes but it is very sinful so seldom bake them unless the boys requested for it. This recipe looks really good and unusual using ricotta cheese. Must try it when I can get ricotta cheese:D

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Kristy! I have seen ricotta cheese cake in books before but always not "courageous" to attempt it, heehee! The most I tried was using it to make ravioli last time, yum! Your cheesecake looks so good and I bet it taste as good as any lucious creamy cheesecake. ;)

j3ss kitch3n said...

this looks really good!

reanaclaire said...

My kids and I are cheese cake lovers.. :) this one looks so temtping, Kristy!

Wai Kitt said...

Frankly speaking i really don't know how the taste of Ricotta Cheese is like. Must make this one day and see. Your cheesecake texture really look nice.

Jet said...

-drools- Bookmarked the recipe. Thanks for sharing. And will try to make my own ricotta cheese. >D

Stefania said...

Mmmmhhhh....buonissima, ciao
felice anno nuovo

MaryMoh said...

Wow...rich and creamy.....drooling here! Kristy, you are trying to make everyone fat...haha. I don't think any one is able to go on diet :P Hope you have a great day.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I love cheesecake so this is for me. Yum yum. Diane

Alice Law said...

Wow, a homemade ricotta cheese... and ricotta Cheese cake recipe, you are such a brilliant pastry chef! I love cheese cake and yours even look better than those selling in Secret Recipe!!! kudos!

Have a nice day Kristy!

Anncoo said...

I must try this one day as I am a cheesecake lover :))
You mean just throw everything in the mixing bowl even together with the eggs? That sounds simple!

My Little Space said...

Jeannie : I think you can find ricotta cheese easily in KL!

Bee : Yes, it was! I want to make my ravioli one day too! :o)

Jess : Thanks alot!

Claire : I know you have good appetite! :o)

Wai Kitt : Thank you! Ricotta cheese taste totally different form cream cheese. Not as sour!

Jet : Hope you will like it!

Stefania : Welcome to my humble little space, dear. Hope to hear from you more often.

MaryMoh : Haha... ya, don't know if I can still put on my CNY dress or not!

Diane : Cheese cake is so irresistible huh!

Ann : Yes, just combine everything in a big bowl and beat untill smooth. Have left out one ingredient cornflour! Just added in the measurement. The cake will looks firmer with some cornflour.

Thank you very much ladies for spending your time with me today. It's like having an afternoon tea with you all. :o)
Hope you're all having a fabulous day.

Blessings, Kristy

Brownieville Girl said...

Oh Kristy, this looks delicious. Next excuse for a cheesecake and I'm going to make this!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I never thought about ricotta in cake, but as usual, you astound me with your wizardry!

Elin said...

Kristy...you never seem to amaze me with your talent and creativity in baking and cooking. I am looking forward to more of your sharing this year :)

When will you be baking cookies for CNY ? My kids are asking for savoury cookies instead of sweet ones. Flavour mag came out with a few savoury ones. Did you buy the lastest one ? Happy baking for CNY :)

Pegasuslegend said...

A totally healthier cheesecake we make often here yours looks terrific!

Heavenly Housewife said...

Now that is most definitely a beauty. Fabulous job daaaahling!
*kisses* HH

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

The cake looks fantastic Kristy! It's probably lighter than the usual cheesecake with cream cheese. Happy New Year!

FOODESSA said...

Kristy...you're certainly singing my tune today. Love cheesecake...especially this concocted version. Thanks for presenting it to us ;o)

Flavourful wishes and all the best,
Claudia

Roxan said...

Wow, how did I never think of this!? Cheesecake made with ricotta. It must be SO much healthier than a traditional cheesecake. Thank you so much for the inspiration and recipe, I totally have to make this. It looks so delicious.

Drick said...

now that is perfect - a cheesecake with brown sugar, almost southern huh? sounds so good

5 Star Foodie said...

This gorgeous cheesecake sounds just heavenly! Loving your homemade creme fraiche too!

Betty Ray said...

This looks too good to NOT try it!!

elra said...

Oh yum ! I made cake using ricotta quite often, I like it more then the American cheesecake. Lighter and delicious.

Claudia said...

I love ricotta cheesecakes! Love it! Sing about it! And I love yours. Keeping it for a special occasion - Carnevale?

Cheah said...

Another great creation of yours, Kristy!

lena said...

no, havent tasted ricotta cheese before although it's available over here. Thanks so much for the the recipe on the creme fraiche..it's very useful!

Mary said...

Kristy, this looks so good. When I reach my goal weight, this will be one of the first things I try. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Great recipe! I used to make a cheesecake with ricotta. Thanks for the reminder! :-)

Emily Malloy said...

This is PERFECT. Well done!

Betty said...

Kristy cara, complimenti!!!
io adoro la ricotta e questa torta fa proprio per me, eccezionale e semplice anche da realizzare, grazie per aver condiviso con noi questa bella ricetta ;-)
ti auguro un buon week-end a te e famiglia.
un abbraccio.

Betty

Dimah said...

That looks absolutely amazing!

Reeni said...

Your ricotta cheesecake looks incredibly good Kristi! I used ricotta to make cannoli for Christmas! I love it in baked goods - and you're right I definitely don't use it often enough.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...