baked version teochew pastry long time ago but have yet tested the fried version. Guess, this is the right timing to do so !
Ingredients for pastry dough :
200gm all purpose flour
30gm icing sugar
100gm water + 1/2 tspn vinegar
180gm all purpose flour
(1) mix together ingredients dough (B) till soft dough is formed, set aside.
(2) for dough (A), combine flour& sugar into a big mixing bowl till well mixed, then rub in shortening till everything is well cooperated.
(3) next, stir water mixture into dough (A) dry ingredients till soft & moist elastic dough is formed. Leave to rest for 20 minutes before further process.
(4) now, divide both dough into 4 portions each then wrap dough (B) into dough (A).
(6) again, flatten the roll dough by pressing it with the rolling pin then roll to form a flat prolong rectangle shape as well, in the opposite way round.
(7) now, roll the shorter end to the other end to form a swiss roll. Then divide each roll into 4 portions. So, you will get all together 16 portions.
500gm taro / yam, skinned & sliced
2 TB wheat starch
60ml cooking oil / corn oil
(1) steamed the sliced taro for 20 minutes or till soft to be mashed.
(2) then add in sugar & wheat starch and blend till well cooperated.
(3) now, preheat a non-stick pan with cooking oil then cook the yam paste till hard ball paste & well cooperated with the oil. Set aside to cool.
*This recipe is just enough to make up 10 balls of filling. So, most probably you need to double up the recipe. Otherwise, use mung bean paste for the leftover pastry crust.
TO ASSEMBLE :
Flatten each portion of pastry dough just by the size to cover 3/4 of the fillings, then slowly push pastry dough to the end of the meeting point and press to seal everything up. The filling is about 50gm each.
Finally, fried pastry till golden brown and leave cool.
Thursday, September 3, 2015
Monday, August 31, 2015
Ingredients for coconut egg custard filling :
180gm fresh grated young coconut
150gm icing sugar
40gm butter, melted
2 small eggs
2 TB custard powder
50gm cooked glutinous flour (koh fun)
(1) stir together sugar & warm melted butter till well combined.
(2) now, bring in all the ingredients and mix to form soft sticky paste.
(3) then divide into 5 portions and squeeze & round it into a ball shape then keep refrigerated to set before used. * This can be prepared a day before.
*You may need more fluid if you're using desicated coconut which is dry & hard.
* Fillings cover : 300gm dou yong paste / mung bean paste
120gm all purpose flour
10gm green tea powder
100gm homemade golden syrup
30gm cooking oil / corn oil
1/2 tspn alkaline or lye water
* Egg glazing : 1 egg yolk + 1 TB milk
(1) stir together syrup, cooking oil & lye water and let to sit for an hour.
(2) when ready, stir liquid mixture into dry ingredients to form a soft dough then again let to rest for another one hour.
(3) now, divide dough into 5 portions & flatten it between a plastic sheet which is more proper. Then fill in the coconut filling and wrap the whole thing up. Make sure its perfectly sealed.
(4) coat a bit of flour all around the dough and press it with a mooncake mould then place it to baking tray lined with parchment paper.
(5) next, bake at preheated oven 160'C for 10 minutes with door ajar.
(6) remove from oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before brush on the egg glazing.
(7) finally, place it back to the oven again and bake for another 10 minutes with door ajar till nicely brown.
Today is our NATIONAL DAY, so wishing all the Malaysians HAPPY MERDEKA DAY !
Monday, August 24, 2015
Ingredients for Pastry Dough :
120gm all purpose flour
15gm icing sugar
45gm butter, melted
70ml cold water
110gm all purpose flour
*Homemade Dou yong filling : 500gm
(divide into 10 portions)
(1) in one bowl, combine ingredients (A) except water, rub butter & the dry ingredients till well cooperated. Then add in water to form a non-stick soft.dough. Knead to smooth then set aside.
(2) in another bowl, combine ingredients (B) till everything well cooperated then divide into 10 portions.
(3) at the same time, divide dough (A) into 10 portions as well, then wrap ingredient (B) into (A) and sealed to form a ball. And leave aside to rest for 20 minutes
(4) for further rolling method, please refer here, Chinese Pastry, or here.
(5) now, press both end of the pastry dough into center then flatten it by rolling it into round shape.
(6) fill in dou yong and sealed it, place the sealing part by facing down then slightly flatten it with the rolling pin.
(7) transfer filled dough to baking tray line with parchment paper then bake at preheated oven 185'-190'C for about 20 minutes or till nicely brown.