Friday, July 24, 2009

Stir Fried Spicy Sweet Potato Leaves


Sweet potato sounds familiar to all of you, right?? But what about sweet potato leaves?? And do you know that sweet potato leaves had much higher polyphenol content than any other commercial vegetables! Sweet potato leaves are chock-full of disease-fighting antioxidants that could help to prevent heart disease, diabetes, infection and some types of cancer. If you want to find out more about the benefits, try to check out at http://www.bspp.org.uk/.../2005-44.asp and many other more. And it's also cheaper than many other commercial vegetables. Or probably, you can get it free from your own garden!

This whole bunch only cost me eighty cents but have to spent a little time in cleaning up. I take this almost every week.


Come on, follow me and learn more about the preparation for the dish! Firstly, separate leaves from the stems Then, peel off the skin of the stem and cut shorter(keep only the tender part of the stem). Wash them thoroughly with clean water and leave aside for drying.

Ingredients :

1 tbsp chopped garlic

1 tbsp chopped onion

1 tbsp chopped ginger

a few chili padi (extreme spicy)

salt to taste

- preheat the pan or wok with 1/2 cup cooking oil.

- stir in all the ingredients untill fragrant.

- stir in sweet potato leaves and cook under high heat.

- add in salt; and off the heat, once the leaves became soft.

- and wa-la... it's ready to serve.

(*Actually, mine one already added in some ikan bilis/dried anchovies)

19 comments:

tastyeatsathome said...

I'm intrigued! This sounds interesting. Why not eat the greens of sweet potato plants? We eat lots of other greens. I wonder where I could find such a thing...besides in my garden one day, if I was to plant sweet potatoes.

Donna-FFW said...

How interesting, Ive never evven heard of these. They sound so intriguing and they look yummy.

Chow and Chatter said...

love the sound of this and nutritional info need to find some

Joycee said...

This looks delicious and so healthy. I have never heard of eating the greens of the sweet potato. I imagine the flavor similar to spinach greens? Great flavor in the recipe, spicy and we LOVE that...

Joycee said...

Kristi, I posted the Kreativ Blogger award today, thank you so much! Come visit me soon...
joy c. at grannymountain

Mary said...

These look delicious. They must be packed with flavor.

My Little Space said...

Hi everyone, thanks for dropping by. Hopefully, you get something from here today! I can tell you that this is much more tastier than spinach. And it has its' own special flavour & aroma that I'm sure you going to love it!

Cheryl said...

Gorgeous, and something I'll be looking for, as here in VT in the extreme northern US we have some new varieties that will tolerate our weather. Thanks for posting!

Chef Fresco said...

I never even knew about sweet potato leaves! How interesting! I'm gonna have to start looking for them

FoOd PaRaDiSe said...

My MIL plant some of the sweet potatoes leaves in her garden. And when it is young, it tastes wonderful even blanch it and add some garlic oil with some soya sauce or oyster sauce. ^-^

Katy ~ said...

I have never heard of eating sweet potato leaves before. I am very interested in this idea. I would love to try it as I really enjoy greens. Thank you so much for posting such an interesting and delicious recipe.

My Little Space said...

Hello, cheryl, Chef, FP & Katy

I'm so glad you all like this recipe as well. Hope you all will be able to get the leaves for this recipe. Have a nice weekend !

Reeni♥ said...

I've never had these before! I am going to be on the lookout for them. Your preparation sounds so spicy and flavorful! Delicious!

Katja said...

Another great post telling me something new- thanks again MLS! I so glad we are (friends)!

The Gypsy Chef said...

Wow! This looks terrific! I never knew you could eat sweet potato leaves. I now have to try it! I actually have some growing on my deck! Thanks for sharing. You always have a nice recipe posted!

My Little Space said...

Hi Reeni, Katja & TGC,

Thanks for visiting and glad you like it too! Hopefuly, you could try out soon.

TINTIN said...

This was one of my favourite vegetable. It taste good with garlic and oyster sauce too. Sprinkle some fried anchovies and fried shallots on top of it..yum, yum~ I can finished the whole plate~lol!!

the twins said...

that looks great! i've never heard of sweet potato leaves either, and your recipe is very interesting.

Anonymous said...

This leaves taste nice fried with nam yue...yumm

SK

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...