Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Century Egg Salad

Century egg also known as preserved egg and is a Chinese cuisine ingredient made by preserving duck, chicken and quail eggs in the mixture of clay, ash, salt, lime and rice straw for several weeks or several months depending on the method of processing. After processing completed, the yolk became dark green with strong odour with sulphur and ammonia. While the egg white became dark brown, transparent jelly with little flavour. Most Chinese will probably take this with pickled ginger but I like it in my way...which I've combined them to make salad instead! I love the mixture of flavour...very clean and nice!

Ingredients :

4 century eggs, sliced thin
100gm pickle scallion
2 zucchinis, cut
a little roasted sesame

Dressing :

2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar

- combine the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well.

Method :

- mix sliced century eggs, pickle scallion and zucchinis in a large bowl.
- add in the dressing mixture and stir well.
- sprinkle on the sesame seeds.
- chill up before serve.
This is the sliced century egg that I'm trying to show you. Beautiful, isn't it!

And this is pickle scallion. I wonder if you can get this from your Asian Food Store!


Wa..la... I can tell just how much I love this! I think the Vietnamese also made this kind of century egg but it's golden in colour!

12 comments:

Joycee said...

I do see these on Andrew Zimmerman's travel shows but wouldn't have a clue where to find them. Are they an "aquired taste," meaning some people may not like them at first?? I love to try new things but this one...may be too adventuresome!

Chow and Chatter said...

this is so interesting like the salad idea, would you like to do a guest post for me, on your fav Malay food? rebeccasubbiah at yahoo dot com goodnight from this side of the globe!

Heavenly Housewife said...

Century eggs are very pretty :), they look kind of like giant marbles to me. I have never tried one.

My Little Space said...

Joycee : You can get them at the Asian Food Store, if you have one over there!

Rebecca : Thank you so much. I am honoured to be your guest writer!

H/Housewife : Then, you better hurry!

Donna-FFW said...

Wonderful twist on egg salad, must be so tasty.

Angie's Recipes said...

Nowhere in Germany you could get Century Eggs...not even in Chinese stores. They could be still found a couple of years ago, but not any more.
I am still thinking about to make them at home.....

Angie's Recipes

Gera @ SweetsFoods said...

I’d like to try this century eggs very appealing, surely delicious :)

Cheers,

Gera

Reeni♥ said...

I've never had a century egg - but this must be delicious from the sound of it!

My Little Space said...

Donna : Thanks for your comment. How's your neck? Hope you r getting better now!

Gera : Thanks!

Reeni : I bet you will like it!

A World in a PAN said...

I lived in Asia for over 5 years and often had Century eggs. Good memories!

cherry potato said...

L like to eat century egg. Will try to make this. Hope you don't mind I follow your recipe as given.

My Little Space said...

AWIAPan : Oh, What a surprise!You actually stayed at Melaka for a few years. Lots of nyonya food over there!

Cherry potato : You're most welcome! Glad that you like it too! Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...