Ayam Penyet 印尼爪哇香料炸鸡
2 whole chicken leg, wash & rinsed
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
2 shallots, smashed
1/2" ginger, smashed
water to cover the chicken for boiling
1 cup corn flour mixed with 1 cup rice flour
Ingredients for marinade paste :
1/2 TB cumin powder, toasted
1 TB fennel powder, toasted
1-1/2 TB coriander powder, toasted
2 tspn turmeric powder, toasted
2 stalk lemongrass, (take only the white part)
5 gloves garlic
1 TB brown sugar
salt & pepper to taste
(Note : mix together ginger, garlic and lemongrass and pound to fine paste)
(1) preheat wok with just enough water to cover the chicken, add in star anise, cinnamon stick, cloves, garlic & ginger and bring it to boil.
(2) later on, add in chicken meat and let to simmer over low heat till totally cooked.
(3) remove chicken from boiling stock and set aside let to cool.
(4) at the same time, combine sugar, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and fennel powder into a big bowl then stir in 1/2 cup of chicken stock from the previous boiling stock and mix well.
(5) now, marinade chicken with salt & pepper then squeeze in the garlic, lemongrass & ginger juice.
(6) at the same time, add in the spicy mixture to marinade the chicken as well and let to rest for 2-3 hours or best overnight.
(7) once its ready, preheat wok with just enough cooking oil for frying.
(9) discharge chicken from the heat and smashed chicken with a pestle on a chopping board.
(10) again, fry chicken for the second round till dry and crispy.
(11) after that fry the leftover ginger & garlic mixture till brown as well.