Homemade Sambal @ Malaysian Chili Sauce 自家叁巴酱
Note : Kindly contact through email if you have any questions. Thank you.
40 dried chilies, cut and washed
10 red chilies, seeded & sliced
8 shallots (medium size), sliced
5 cloves garlic
3 stalk lemongrass, take only the white part & sliced
1/2" toasted Belacan
2 tspn asam paste (Adabi asam paste)
salt to taste
1 tspn granules
1-1/2 cup cooking oil
2 TB gula melaka/brown sugar
(1) after cut and washing dried chilies, then cook it over medium heat till soft about 15 minutes. Discharge chilies from hot water to reduce the seeds from going together.
(2) next, blend dried chilies, red chilies, shallots, garlic & lemongrass with some water into paste.
(3) now, heat up work with cooking oil and cook blended paste over medium heat.
(4) while the mixture starts bubbling, add in the salt to helps in putting away the unpleasant smell from the dried chilies. Continue cooking till you can see the separation between oil and mixture.
(5) now, add in asam paste, belacan, gula melaka, granules and some water, continue cooking over medium-low heat.
(6) once the chili paste became thick & fragrant and you can clearly see the oil separation. That's mean it is ready.
(7) off the heat and leave cool before bottling.