I haven't been baking X'mas fruit cake for many years cause my boy doesn't like the dried cherry. The other day I mentioned to him that I wanna to make one this year, and he quickly give me the look ..... haha.....
I was like Ok OK no fruit cake ! So after cleaning my fridge, found some leftover kurma @ dried dates & dried figs and decided to clear off by making kurma & date cake. Wow.... it was surprisingly good. Please read on for more.
200gm dried kurma @ Date, seeded & sliced
200gm dried figs, sliced
380ml boiling water
150gm butter at room temperature
170gm brown sugar
225gm selfraising flour
1 tspn baking soda
(1) soaked kurma and sliced figs into boiling water for an hour or till softened, then puree it with blender.
(2) beat butter and sugar till fluffy then beat together the kurma & fig puree till well mixed.
(3) next, beat in egg one at a time till well cooperated.
(4) now, stir in flour & baking soda till everything well combined.
(5) transfer batter to a 8" baking tray lined with greased proof paper at the bottom and flour coating on the side of tray. Then decorate the top with pecan of walnut.
(6) finally, bake at preheated oven 175'C for about 60 minutes or till tester came out clean.
The cake turns out really moist & fluffy and so scrumptious. Quite addictive too ! Bet you can't stop at one. My boy said much much more yummy than fruit cake, and not so sweet. haha....
.. Enjoy & Happy thanksgiving to all.