Khanom Sod Sai @ Kuih Kochi Santan
2 cups grated young coconut
100gm gula merah (jaggery sugar)
2 TB sugar (omit sugar if using gula melaka)
1/3 tspn salt
thickening (1 TB water mixed with 1 tspn tapioca starch)
(1) place all sugar, salt & water into a non-stick pan, let to melt over medium heat.
(2) now, stir in coconut and let to cook over high heat till everything well incorporate.
(3) once its done, off the heat then add in thickening and stir till well mixed. Set aside.
*ONLY HALF COCONUT FILLINGS WERE USED.
Note : Jaggery sugar isn't as sweet as palm sugar, so extra sugar added in.
1-3/4 cups glutinous rice flour
1/4 cup black glutinous rice flour
1-1/2 cup water
3TB cooking oil
Combine both flour and mix well then slowly stir in water & oil and mix to form a soft dough. Cover the dough & set aside.
Ingredients for coconut custard :
1 cup rice flour
1 TB all purpose flour
4 TB tapioca starch
2 tspn salt
3 cups thick coconut milk
1 cup water
Combine everything and mix well. Then heat over medium flame till mixture became thick paste. Set aside to cool.
TO ASSEMBLE :
(1) Divide glutinous rice dough into about 30gm each then flatten dough and place in fillings, sealed & set aside.
(2) once its done, place 2 tspn of coconut custard to the center of banana leaf then insert the glutinous ball and cover it with another 2 tspn of coconut custard.
(3) now, fold banana leaf up into a parcel by wrapping the leaf towards the center then staple.
(4) finally, steamed for 15 minutes over high heat.