Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Citrusy Cream Cheese Custard Bun

After being away for so long, I'm still trying to pull myself back together and started baking again but it seems hard to move around this days without any dynamic inspirations. However, I at least started my favourite bread baking already. I really missed my homemade breads and so are the kids. NOW....I think I'll have to come up with more yummy hot breads. I'm really craving for some. Here's what I've been working on the prefermentation bread making.

Ingredients :
Starter Dough
200gm  bread flour
2 tspn  yeast
1 TB sugar
200ml  milk
(combine everything and mix well then leave to rest for an hour for fermentation till double in size)

Main Dough
250gm  bread flour
4 TB sugar
1 egg, do not beat
1 TB  milk
50gm cold butter, chopped

*Extra flour for coating.
& 1/2 cup poppy seeds for topping

Method :
(1) add main dough ingredients to starter dough to form a soft dough and knead gently till smooth.
(2) then let dough rest for an hour or till double in size.
(3) once its ready, punch to release air from dough and slightly knead dough till smooth with oil coated hand.
(4) now, place dough to a slightly floured working table and divide into 12 portions.
(5) fill in each portion with one table spoon of custard and sealed nicely to let to rest on baking tray for 30 mins or till double in size.
(6) brush the top with egg glazing and sprinkle on some poppy seeds then bake at preheated oven 190'C for about 25 mins or till brown on the middle rack.

Ingredients for Citrus Cream Cheese Custard :
125gm  cream cheese, softened
1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk
50ml  milk
2-1/2 TB  sugar
1 lime juice & rinds
1 lemon juice & rinds
1 TB  orange rinds

Method :
1) whisk together sugar, eggs, milk & flour into a saucepan till smooth & well combined.
(2) then cook the mixture over a double boiler till thickened.
(3) now, slowly stir the hot mixture into soft cream cheese and beat till smooth & thick.
(4) finally, add in the remaining ingredients till well mixed. Then leave to cool completely..

Hmmm..mmm....this cream cheese custard bun with assorted citrus flavour tasted absolutely irresistible. I've got to come up with more recipes with such delicious custard. Cause its been a long long time since I last tasted something like this. Hopefully, this will be a great start for the year 2014. Enjoy & have fun guys ! Blessed you all.
*
I'm sending this to Wild Yeast Blog @ Yeastspotting.

19 comments:

belleau kitchen said...

I was never a big fan of the confectioners creamy custard but I must say your buns look adorable and so light and fluffy... gorgeous!

reana claire said...

hey Kristy, the creamy cheesy buns look so "tempting"... reminds me of lau sar pau.. :)
Happy CNY to you... and Happy Baking!!

CaThY said...

Happy new year Kristy! I love your custard buns :)

Jeannie Tay said...

Wow! Those are really fluffy buns! Love the filling too! Glad to see you posting again

Nammi said...

yumm....

Eric Pepple said...

Those sound delicious and they look so airy and moist! Great recipe :)

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Chris, with Dawn Star Press. We recently published an eBook that seems like it would be a good topic for your blog, and I was wondering if you would be interested in a free copy in return for a mention or entry in your blog. If so, please respond to chris@dawnstarpress.com with what format you would prefer to receive it in. The book is KNOW ENOUGH: Ethnic Cuisines, a common man's guide to food from around the world and the cultures that created them.

Nee said...

Hi Kristy , these are lovely , I have to try them , thanks for sharing :)

Medeja said...

What a great filling! Those buns look just perfect. I would love few with tea.

Mich PieceofCake said...

Wow love your cheese buns. I could eat a dozen!

Vivian Pang said...

Love your citrusy cream cheese filling. Looking forward for more great recipes in future.

Rebecca Subbiah said...

these look so good, happy new year sweet Kristy

divya said...

awesome and droolworthy.

Dewi said...

Yummy! Bookmark material :)

Angie Schneider said...

Love the cream cheese custard filling! These filled buns look so soft and wonderful.

Chin said...

Hi Kristy, the buns look really delicious! I would like to try them, but the recipe for the custard does not specify how much flour to put?

My Little Space said...

Hi Chin,
First of all, thanks so much for stopping by and glad you like them too. There's no flour needed on this custard recipe cause cream cheese is solid enough to help in forming the custard.
All the best & Enjoy !
Blessings, Kristy

Jenny said...

Hi Kristy,
I don't have kitchen aid or dough mixer. If i knead it by hand, would it still come out soft and fluffy?

My Little Space said...

Hi Jenny,
First of all, thank you so much for stopping by. And to your answer, yes, off course you can hand knead the dough. It will comes out as fluffy.
Hope you'll have a great time. Enjoy & have fun.
Blessings,
Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...