Friday, March 11, 2016
Flaounes @ The Cypriot Easter Bread
Flaounces is also called as flaounca which is a special Easter and Ramadhan food eaten during those special day in Cyprus, an Island which located at Eastern Mediterranean Sea (off the coasts of Syria and Turkey). Cyprus is the third largest and most popular island in the Mediterranean. For me, its a brand new discovery and still google around searching the famous eatery around that island. Not much luck though ! Anyway, this little flaounca is all ready for the trial.
500gm all purpose flour
1 TB yeast
1 TB sugar
60gm butter, melted
1 tspn salt
(1) combine flour, yeast, sugar and salt into a big mixing bowl then stir in water, milk & melted butter till soft dough is formed.
(2) knead till smooth then set aside to rest for an hour or till double in size.
(3) now, punch dough to release air and again knead till smooth.
(4) place dough to working table and divide into 2 portions.
(5) next, divide each into 8 portions.
Ingredients for cheese fillings :
250gm cream cheese
250gm cheddar cheese
1 tspn salt
2 TB sugar
70gm all purpose flour
90gm semolina flour
1/2 tspn yeast
1 tspn baking powder
3 eggs, beatened
1 lemon rinsed
some mint leaves, chopped (omitted)
(1) combine both cheese, sugar, both flour, baking powder, raisins & lemon zest into a big mixing bowl then stir to well mixed.
(2) now, add in yeast and eggs then stir till well cooperated.
(3) keep refrigerated for 30 minutes before used.
1 cup sesame seeds (for coating)
1 egg yolk mixed with 2 tspn milk (for glazing)
(1) flatten each dough with rolling pin to form a disk like sheet then place on a big scoop of cheese fillings at the center.
(2) fold two sides of sheet facing inward then following on the other side as well to form an open parcel, as picture shown.
(3) brush surface with egg glazing and coat each with sesame seed.