Savory Steamed Taro Cake
300gm taro, cubed
1/2 cup water
1-1/2 cube red fermented beancurd
1 tspn chinese 5 spice
1/2 tspn pepper
150gm rice flour
2 tbsp tapioca flour
2 tspn salt
1 tbsp sugar
100gm black eye pea, cooked
5 shallots, thinly sliced
100gm dried shrimp, soaked & then pounded
*sliced spring onion & red chili for decorations
(1) preheat frying pan/wok with enough oil for frying the taro cube.
(2) once the taro is done, stir in red fermented beancurd, chinese 5 spice & pepper and saute till fragrant. (*withdraw some oil away from the pan if it's too much)
(3) next withdraw half of the taro and set aside, then add in 1/2 cup water and let simmer till soft. Off the heat, once it's done.
(4) now, combine ingredients (B) together with the mashed taro, the remaining fried taro & black eye pea then simmer over medium flame till thick.
(5) next, transfer the thick paste to a 6 or 7" oil based tray.
(6) finally, steamed for 30 mins over high heat.
(7) once it's done, set aside to cool before placing in the topping.
**For the preparation of black eye pea : soaked the BYP with enough water for an hour then place it to a small pot with loads of water. Let it simmer till soft, roughly about an hour. Then drain.
I'm sending this to Suresh & Shaz @ Malaysian Muhibbah Monday.
(asian cuisine, kuih, snack)