Monday, February 18, 2013

Fire Cracker To Die For

Wow...hooo... are you still in the Chinese New Year mood ? Yeah, I am and I'm feeling pretty good cause last weekend I could finally spent time in my own kitchen. After came back from a long Chinese New Year trip, I managed to get a nice & fresh spotted mackerel at the local wet market to make myself some fish paste. I made it every Chinese New Year and also on special occasion. I often use it on stuffed beancurd ("yong tofu") and sometimes I would love to use it on some other special dishes. Right ! Just like the one here.... eatable fire cracker ! Doesn't it look much fun ?

And here's what I did.
Ingredients :
150gm  homemade fish paste
150gm  shrimps / prawns, minced
1/2 cup   water chestnut, chopped
1/3 cup  carrot, chopped
 handful of cilantro, chopped
1 TB  wheat starch
salt & pepper to taste

*one packet of phyllo sheet / popiah sheet (small size)

Method :
(1) place all ingredients into a big bowl and mix to combine.
(2) spread a teaspoon of the mixture to phyllo sheet, wrap & sealed nicely with some egg white.
(3) then fry till golden brown.
(4) finally, decorate it onto a plate with chili sauce & mayonnaise.

It's best not to wrap the spring roll overly big....finger length would be fine. Otherwise, it won't be able to fit to any dinning plate. *wink*

Be very careful with your first bite.....you'll get addicted....you'll want more...& more....& MORE.... So, don't blame me for this ! You've been warned. :o)

15 comments:

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

They look like fun and I bet they taste fantastic. Have a great week Diane

Dumpling Love said...

sounds really appetising! I love fish paste filling - especially in dumplings with some cucumber and coriander =) You should try add cucumber next time - brings out the sweetness in the fish and also adds some juice.

Yin said...

Hi Kristy:
Good presentation on the popiah, really symbolised the Fire crackers!
Wanting to wish you a happy and healthy snake year ahead!
Not forgetting to have a Huat! Huat! year too! (prosperous in Hokkien)

Jeannie Tay said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai Kristy, got "huat" already? lol!I would love to have a plate all by myself:D Looks really delicious!

Mich Piece of Cake said...

Hi Kristy, Happy New Year! Your spring rolls look delicious! I love the ingredients.

Medeja said...

I am always in mood for good Chinese food! Yummy!

Rebecca Subbiah said...

yummy would love a few of these :-)

Small Kucing said...

delicious ...dipped in chili sauce lagi best

Vivian Pang said...

Love how you present them. Crispy outside with yummy filling! Definetly die for :D

Angie's Recipes said...

These must be very delicious!

Ah Tze @ Awayofmind said...

Kristy, lovely presentation! I like spring rolls especially the crispy layer! This is irresistable :)

Amelia said...

Hi Kristy, this look very inviting and addictive. Would love to have some right now. :)

Have a great week ahead,regards.

divya said...

looks awesome..

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for sharing ! Love your food blog.

My Little Space said...

Hi Anonymous,
Thanks so much for your lovely comment. Most appreciated.
Enjoy!
Regards, Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...