zinio.com magazine subscription giveaway at Life of Nanchang Lu. Have to thank Fiona for such wonderful giveaway. I am trilled when I saw my name on the list that morning. It was actually one day after I came back from visiting my dad (after the car accident). Phew..... can you imagine the up & down feelings! Can't wait to receive those mag soon. And this homemade Kao Nang @ Uyghur flat bread (west China food) is actually inspired by one of Fiona's blogpost, The Bakers of Kashgar. I really love & enjoy reading her blog & learning all things around China. And she took really gorgeous photos as well.
check it out here. I'm sure you're going to love them. And try to take note of the shaping equipment they used on the bread....compare to MINE ! haha..... I used old time grandma hair brush. As picture shown below. :o) Working fine. LOL.
1-1/2 tspn yeast
1 TB sugar
1/2 cup warm water
(combine all ingredients and let to stand for 10 mins or till bubbling)
5 cups all purpose flour
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup water
1 TB salt
(1) once mixture (A) is ready, combine all ingredients (B) and stir to form soft dough,
(2) cover and let to rest for 2 hours or till double in size.
(3) now, punch and knead dough till air release then place it to a slightly floured working table.
(4) divide dough into 10 portions (for smaller disk) or 8 portions (for bigger disk), set aside to rest for 10 mins.
(5) press dough into round thin disk and fold the side dough inward, to make it look thicker.
(6) place set dough to baking tray and brush with onion oil, then press the center of dough with the shaping brush (haha...!).
(7) again rest dough for 20 mins and then straight to preheated oven & bake at 220'C for 12 mins or till nicely brown.
(8) finally, serve warm with curry.
focaccia. Should fly to Xinjiang to try this bread someday. :o)
I'm sending this to Yeastspotting @ Wild Yeast.