Lontong Johor

Lontong is a dish made of compressed rice cake with coconut based soup which is widely sold almost everywhere. Honestly, I only had them once but it was a long time ago. Can't even remember how it was taste like! haha..... Since I have a batch of  homemade Korean rice cake stored up in my freezer. Why not using them on this ! Yeap...yeap...yeap... Sounds like a perfect idea. So, after google for some time finally picked up a recipe. Since very little ingredients are involved, I managed to make this on the same day. So, here's what I did.

(Recipe adapted from here)
Ingredients for lontong soup :
1L  water
250ml  coconut milk
salt to taste
1/2 tspn  vegetable granule
2 stalk  lemongrass, cut into shorter
3 slices galangal / blue ginger

Other ingredients used :
cabbage
fried beancurd sheet, soaked
handful of glass noodle, soaked

Ingredients for blended paste :
1 large onion
3 shallots
3 cloves garlic
1/3 tspn turmeric powder
1 tspn  coriander powder
1/2 tspn  cumin powder
1 tspn  belacan / shrimp paste, toasted (I omitted this)
1/2 cup dried shrimp, soaked  (I omitted this)

*homemade rice cake, thawed & steam for 20 mins

Method :
(1) preheat a pot with just enough oil to saute the blended paste.
(2) stir in the paste, turmeric powder, galangal & lemongrass and saute till fragrant.
(3) add in water and about 100ml coconut milk, bring it to boil.
(4) now, add in the other remaining coconut milk, cabbage, beancurd sheet, glass noodle, vegetable granule and salt & pepper to taste.
(5) let them boil for another 20mins over medium heat till everything is softened.
(6) finally, off the heat and serve with rice cake, hard boiled egg & sambal.

Hmmm...mmm... yum.... I especially love the beancurd sheet and the coconut soup is something to die for as well.

By the time, I almost finished up my first bowl of lontong I only realized I have missed out the sambal. No wonder it looks a bit weird. haha..... Now, here comes the second bowl with loads of sambal. Yummmm...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...