Lontong is a dish made of compressed rice cake with coconut based soup which is widely sold almost everywhere. Honestly, I only had them once but it was a long time ago. Can't even remember how it was taste like! haha..... Since I have a batch of homemade Korean rice cake stored up in my freezer. Why not using them on this ! Yeap...yeap...yeap... Sounds like a perfect idea. So, after google for some time finally picked up a recipe. Since very little ingredients are involved, I managed to make this on the same day. So, here's what I did.
(Recipe adapted from here)
250ml coconut milk
salt to taste
1/2 tspn vegetable granule
2 stalk lemongrass, cut into shorter
3 slices galangal / blue ginger
Other ingredients used :
fried beancurd sheet, soaked
handful of glass noodle, soaked
Ingredients for blended paste :
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
1/3 tspn turmeric powder
1 tspn coriander powder
1/2 tspn cumin powder
1 tspn belacan / shrimp paste, toasted (I omitted this)
1/2 cup dried shrimp, soaked (I omitted this)
*homemade rice cake, thawed & steam for 20 mins
(1) preheat a pot with just enough oil to saute the blended paste.
(2) stir in the paste, turmeric powder, galangal & lemongrass and saute till fragrant.
(3) add in water and about 100ml coconut milk, bring it to boil.
(4) now, add in the other remaining coconut milk, cabbage, beancurd sheet, glass noodle, vegetable granule and salt & pepper to taste.
(5) let them boil for another 20mins over medium heat till everything is softened.
(6) finally, off the heat and serve with rice cake, hard boiled egg & sambal.