Monday, August 12, 2013
Vegetarian Suzhou Mooncake From Scratch
mooncake is actually inspired by one of Fiona @ Life of Nanchang Lu blog post. I've been planning to make this since last mooncake festival but always too busy to get everything gathered or to even started it. Oh well, I finally get it done this year. Hooray..... It such an awesome experience....baking without any recipe given! And just by estimation, however, the fillings turned out quite satisfying but still a little bit more adjustment need to be done. Maybe I will try the other flavour as well, the sweetened nutty seaweed fillings. Sounds a bit weird but I love weird stuffs. haha.....
So, here's what I did.
Ingredients for pastry crust :
130gm bread flour
100gm all purpose flour
4 TB sugar
100gm butter, chopped
150gm all purpose flour
*egg glazing ~ 1 egg yolk + 1 tspn milk
(1) for ingredients (A), combine flour & sugar and mix well then rub in butter till well combined.
(2) now, stir in water till mixture became soft dough then set aside to rest for 30 mins.
(3) at the same time, combine ingredients (B) to form a dough ball then divide into 10 portions.
(4) on the other hand, divide ingredients (A) into 10 portions as well.
(5) wrap (B) dough into (A) dough, nicely sealed and then follow the rolling method from here.
(6) cut dough into 2 portions, press center of one dough then fold in both side and press to flatten dough.
(7) now, roll dough into round shape and then wrap in the filling and sealed nicely.
(8) place pastry to baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
(9) slightly press pastry to flatten it and then brush on egg glazing.
(10) finally, bake at preheated oven 200-210'C for about 30 mins or till brown.
Ingredients for black sesame fillings :
100gm black sesame seeds powder, roasted
150gm cooked glutinous rice flour (koh fun)
50gm roasted sesame seeds
1 cup roasted walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup roasted pistachio
1 cup hot water (adjustable)
Combine black sesame seeds powder, koh fun, sugar & sesame seeds into a big bowl and mix well. Stir in hot water little by little till form a nice paste (do not add in all if possible). Then add in walnuts & pistachio and knead till everything well combined. Finally, divide mixture into 20 equal portions.