Thursday, August 1, 2013

Apple & Nectarine Strudel With Chinese Pastry Crust

If not mistaken, this is the third time I'm making an apple strudel for the past few years. :o) The first & the second time was two years back by using the homemade pastry puff. Pastry puff is much lighter compare to any other layering pastry. But I'm quite curious about the Chinese pastry as well. I wonder how it would turned up between the two combination. Sounds a bit funny, right? Oh well, never try never know ! >o<


Ingredients for Pastry Crust :
Dough (A)
150gm   bread flour
100gm   all purpose flour
10gm    custard powder
100gm  cold butter, chopped
4 TB  sugar
90ml  water

Dough (B)
150gm  all purpose flour
100gm  shortening

*1 egg yolk + 1 tspn milk (for glazing)
  a handful of sesame seeds

Method :
(1) for ingredients (A), combine both flour, custard powder& sugar into a big bowl. Then rub in butter till well mixed like bread crumb.
(2) now, stir in water to form a soft dough and set aside to rest for 30 mins.
(3) for ingredients (B), just combine the ingredients and mix to form a dough.
(4) now, wrap ingredient (B) into (A) and seal nicely.
(5) place dough to a slightly floured working table, roll it flat to about 9x14" size and fold it into three. Just like making danish bread & pastry puff where you can refer here.
(6) finally, roll dough into a bigger size pastry skin for about 10x18" length and place it to baking tray lined with grease proof paper.

Ingredients for fillings :
2 large nectarine, sliced
2 large green apples, diced
1 cup  brown sugar
2 tspn cinnamon powder
3 TB  all purpose flour
1/2 cup  raisins (optional)
(combine everything & mix well)

(7) spread fillings to pastry skin then wrap it nice & neat.
(8) next, brush the top with egg glazing & sprinkle on the sesame seeds.

(9)  finally, bake at preheated oven 200-210'C for about 30 mins or till brown & crispy.
(10) cool for 10 mins before slicing it.

Hmmm.....yummm......who can resist such crispy crust. You can actually hold it on your hand and eat but not the western pastry crust. Slurppp.... Coffee or tea anyone??? Hope you guys will love it too.

17 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

I know I would love this Strudel Kristy. What's not to love? Apple & Nectarines all wrapped up in delicious goodness!!! I'm really intrigued by the crust too.

Thank you so much for sharing...

Angie Schneider said...

So crumbly and good! I like that you have added stone fruit in the apple filling.

Belinda said...

Sounds like a wonderful marriage of baked delights.

Nee said...

Looks so yummy , the nectarines is a plus . got my coffe cup and ready to set a while :)

Pamela said...

My dear Kristy, you are so right ¡never try, never know! I see you succeeded completely, it looks irresistible. I wouldn't have dared mix apples and nectarines, some I must try myself too. Big hugs

Vivian Pang said...

Very crispy pastry! You are very good in making and handling pastry !

Rebecca Subbiah said...

this looks so good an love the addition of custard in the pastry

Mich PieceofCake said...

I love your delicious strudel filled with fruits!

divya said...

wow ,looks incredible.

Contest said...

nice post
thanks for sharing

Rosita Vargas said...



Una verdadera delicia de strudel se ve muy hermoso también,saludos y abrazos.

Jeannie Tay said...

That looks awesome good! Great idea to use chinese pastry, which I think is much easier to make:D

Pam said...

Love this! It looks delicious, wish I had a slice now! And I like your plate also. I've just returned to blogging and see I have a lot of catching up to do here. Thanks for the great recipe, Kristy!

Mary Moh said...

That looks really beautiful and delicious! I want to come and join your for tea :D

lena said...

chinese strudel? looks good to me leh..happy holidays to you, kristy!

Amelia said...

Hi Kristy, very interesting recipe. Love the pastry, it look extremely good. 2 thumb up for you.

Best regards.

Lyndsey Chapin said...

Yum amazing looking strudel! Maranda wants to be a pastry chef...I should have her to make this one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...