Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Steamed Glutinous Soft Cake @ QQ Ruan Gao


This special steamed cake is one of my favourite childhood snack. What I love about this cake it has to be that aroma brought me to it ! I then found out the secret of this cake only a few years back.... that special aroma is actually came from banana essence. HAhaha...  But then never had I thought of making it at home, NOT TILL a few days back when I accidentally pumped up the recipe again. I was immediately inspired by the homemade steamed glutinous rice cake prepared by this blogger. Such an easy and hassle free recipe and here's what I did.

Ingredients :
150gm   glutinous rice flour
25gm  wheat starch
25gm   tapioca starch
110gm   sugar
200ml   water (mix with 1/2 tspn  banana essence)

* 1 tspn rose flavoured red food colouring (mix with 1 TB water)
* 1 cup  rice flour (toast for 10 minutes before using)

Method :
(1) combine all dry ingredients into a big bowl and mix well.
(2) next, stir in water to form a thick batter then pour batter to a 7" or 9" greased tray.
(3) steam for 15 minutes over medium heat.

Note :  I used a 7" tray for one recipe and the cake came out quite thick. I supposed the 9" tray should give a perfect thickness to this steamed cake.

Once the cake is done, immediately brush on the red rose flavoured colouring to steamed cake. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.

Now, try to loosen all the side of the cake by using a plastic scrapper and then simply start rolling it in the tray like a Swiss roll with the scrapper.

Finally, sprinkle some cooked rice flour to the tray and slowly transfer the rolled cake to working table. Leave cake to cool then keep refrigerated for 30 minutes before slicing. And you're done !

At the same time, I would like to thank all for the birthday greetings & blessings. I am so lucky to have you all. LOVE YOU ALL ! ((hugs)) 
*
I'm sending this to Foodie Friday.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kisty

Thank you for the English version of the steamed glutinous soft cake.

Could you let me know did the cake remain soft on the next day or even two days later.

You mentioned banana essence was the secret of the aroma but in your recipe, however, there was no banana essence added, why?

Blessings
Priscilla Poh

My Little Space said...

Hi Priscilla,
Good day to you dear! I think you have missed out the line next to the water used (mix with 1/2 tspn banana essence). :o) Hope this will help.
Enjoy & have fun.
Blessings, Kristy

Anonymous said...

Thank you dear Kisty. Sorry, infact I missed out the line you clearly stated mix banana essense. Very sorry.

Are you able to let me know whether soft cake stays soft the following day and how days the cake will remain soft.

Blessings
Priscilla Poh

My Little Space said...

Priscilla, the texture of this cake remains as wonderful even a day after. Do not keep it refrigerated overnight & best to finish up in 2 days time.
Have a lovely evenng.
Kristy

Veronica Ng said...

I haven't had this for ages. I can't even remember how it taste like. Thank you for bringing back memories from yesteryear.

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

This is my favourite "cake" when i was a kid. My late grandma like to use it for praying.

Pamela said...

Dear Kristy! This is absolutely mouthwatering! I must try it, and I'm sure we will all love it. It's nothing like our sweets, so original y cute by the way! Big hugs

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Kristy!

Isn't that just the prettiest cake. You did such a wonderful job at rolling it. I would have made such a mess!!! I bet it sure tastes good too:)

Thank you so much for sharing, Kristy...

P.S. I just posted the Picnic Game today. I do hope you will be "playing" the Picnic Game again this year. Drop by to choose a letter but hurry, they are going quick!!!

MiMi Bakery House said...

Kristy, so this is how it is made..this is so easy & interesting... Looks great :)

Angie Schneider said...

This looks absolutely divine! I haven't had any glutinous rice treat in a long while...a few slices of this would make me really happy :-))

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Kristy!

Yes, yes, the Letter G is still available. Do you want it? I'm sooooo happy you are going to play the Picnic Game once again this year. It's going to be the best, EVER!!!

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kristy,
This is one traditional kuih that I have not eaten in ages! Who would have thought that banana essence is the one! Haha!
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
You are coming to the picnic? See you! :)

Ania TastyQuery.com said...

Hello!

I saw your blog and thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite you to our new culinary website which has just started.

This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from your food blog. It's a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

For more please visit:
http://tastyquery.com

TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called "Mikser Kulinarny", founded in Poland. "Mikser Kulinarny" has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

In case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

best regards

Ania, TastyQuery.com

Nammi said...

First time seeing a cake like this have a nice week end

Edith C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Euphrasia Fung said...

Hi Kristy,

Thank you for sharing this recipe. Ive made it today & my whole family is loving it. But, I have an issue, I am not able to cut it as nice as the ones in your pictures. My cake keeps sticking to my knife. I've placed flour on the knife & cake but the red lines can't be seen as nice as your's. Please advice.

Thank you.

Asia

My Little Space said...

Hi Euphrasia

First of all, thanks so much for stopping by and glad you tried this recipe. The biggest trick for cutting kuih, I mean any kind of kuih is by using a plastic knife. Hope this will help. >o< Enjoy & have fun. Keep on the good work.
Blessings, Kristy

Mary Smith said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! Am keen to try making the kueh asap. However, can I simply use non-flavor red coloring instead of rose flavored red coloring as that what I have at hand? Will it make a difference to the taste?

My Little Space said...

Hi Mary Smith,
First of all, sorry for the late reply. Have been busy travelling for the past couple of days. Yes, you can use the non-flavouring red colouring. Not much difference except you'll missed out the tiny rose flavouring, that's all ! Overall its fine. Hope you will love it.
Blessings, Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...