Pandan Kaya Steamed Bun 班兰咖吔蒸包
Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids has inspired me to make one batch kaya steamed bun with her lava like kaya recipe, which adapted to Chef Daniel Choong cookbook. Kaya steamed bun is my all time favourite. However, common kaya recipe surely unable to give you runny like kaya fillings, which I always looking forward to. And I'll have to admit this recipe is working fantastically. So, here's what I did.
Bake for Happy Kids)
Ingredients for pandan kaya :
400ml fresh coconut milk
8 pandan leaves, cut small
20gm corn flour
(1) blend pandan leaves with 200ml coconut milk then sieve to collect the juices. Squeeze out the juices if necessary.
(2) now, combine beat all ingredients into a non-stick pot till cooperated.
(3) next, cook mixture over medium heat till became thick paste. Make sure you stir constantly.
(4) cool kaya before keep chilled till set. Best to keep refrigerated overnight and its easily shape in this way.
(5) then divide into 20 portions kaya balls.
(Recipe adatped to Guai ShuShu)
Ingredients for pandan bun dough :
500gm pao flour / top flour
100gm corn flour
1 TB yeast
350ml water mixed with 1/2 tspn baking powder
1 TB shortening
1/2 tspn salt
(1) combine both flour, yeast, sugar and water mixture into a big mixing bowl then stir to combined.
(2) now, add in shortening & salt and continued kneading till soft dough is formed.
(3) set aside to rest for 30 minutes, then punch to release excess air from dough and again knead till smooth.
(4) place dough to slightly floured working table and divide into 20 portions.
TO ASSEMBLE :
(1) prepare 20 muffin cups with liner, then round dough and flatten into disk like dough.
(2) next, fill in kaya ball and seal it. Then by placing filled dough up side down (meaning the sealed part facing down) to individual muffin cups and let to rest for 30 minutes.
(3) finally, steamed bun for 12-15 minutes and serve warm.
**Note : This recipe is also works well in 15 portions of buns. You may also prepare this days before and keep them frozen and reheat them before serving.