As promised, here's the main course! Ayam golek is a very popular delicacy at the southern part of Malaysia and you can easily found this kind of stalls along the road side especially during the fasting season which is coming soon. This is a none spicy but extremely flavourful BBQ/grilled chicken. In Malay, 'ayam' means chicken and 'golek' means turn around/over. So, catch the meaning!
6 whole chicken leg
300ml coconut milk
2 tbsp brown sugar
salt & pepper to taste
Ground Spices :
5 cloves garlic
3 stalks lemongrass
100gm galangal / blue ginger
1/2 inch ginger
10 bird-eye chilies
2 tspn ground turmeric
1 tspn ground cumin
2 tspn ground fennel
- marinade chicken with salt & pepper, and leave aside for about an hour.
- combine coconut milk with the ground spices in a pan and simmer over low heat.
- then add in seasoning to your taste and off the heat.
- add in the chicken, leave to marinade and keep refrigerated after cool.
(it's best to leave overnight before used)
- finally, grill the chicken and brush with remaining marinade sauce or'
- bake at 200'C for about an hour or untill brown.
Frankly, I don't buy this kind of grilled chicken often because none of them satisfied me. Maybe it's my own problem! I felt that there's always not enough spices or whatever. Yet, still homemade is the best! hehe.... So, enjoy!