nasi lemak. Nasi lemak is widely sold almost every corner of Malaysia. It is even served at most of our local 5 star hotels. Nasi lemak is an aromatic rice dish cooked in coconut milk which served with some side dishes including fried anchovies, roasted peanuts, hard boiled egg, cucumber or sometimes even salted fish. And some food stall even serving nasi lemak kukus or steamed coconut rice. And this is what I'm going to make today.
Ingredients for Steam coconut rice :
2 cups white rice
1-1/3 cup coconut milk
salt to taste
a few screwpine leaves
(1) place leaves to the preheated steamer, rinse & wash rice and then steam for 20 mins over medium heat. (It's best to use a bamboo basket lined with banana leaf or cheese cloth)
(2) remove steamed rice from steamer then soak into clean water for about 3-4 hours to let the rice expand (it's best to steam rice at night & soak in water overnight then you can steam it early in the morning).
(3) again steam the rice for another 15 mins.
(4) remove steamed rice from steamer then immediately stir in coconut milk + salt mixture, let the rice stand for 10 mins (to let coconut milk cook in hot steamed rice instantly) or till you can smell the aroma before serving.
(5) finally serve with roasted peanuts, fried anchovies, cucumber slices, hard boiled eggs & my homemade kampung sambal.
Ingredients for Rice cooker Coconut Rice :
2 cups white rice or basmati rice
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
1 stalk lemongrass, cut short & roughly smashed
2-3 slices ginger
1 screwpine leaf (daun pandan)
a pinch of salt
Combine all ingredients into rice cooker pot and let to cook. Tips : always remember to measure your rice & water with the same cup as the exact ratio of 1 : 1. For cooking over gas stove, add in an extra 1/2 cup of water.
I'm sending this to Sharon @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.