Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hakka Lui Cha / Ham Cha With Rice Pops

Lui Cha is actually meaning ground tea in Mandarin and it is normally served to the Hakka family on the 7th day of Chinese New Year,. While the Cantonese serving Yu Shang the same day. The only difference is it is served with 7 different type of vegetables as side dishes including preserved radish, da chai @ chinese chard, mani chai @ star gooseberry, tofu, peanuts, long beans & leek or any other green leaves to go along with white rice. I often heard friends & relatives talking about it but honestly, I have yet tried it myself. So embarrassing huh ! Even my Hakka hubby & his family are not interested in taking it and not to mention about making their own. Well, I am certainly the lucky one cause my neighbour just share their little treat with me a few weeks back. They cooked their own side dishes And for tea soup, they didn't make their own they used the stall bought tea soup paste to cook at home. The most interesting part was they served their Lui Cha with rice pops. And that is how I was tempted to make my own.

Ingredients for Lui cha tea paste :  (serve 4-6 persons)
2 cups   cilantro, rinsed & cut
1 cups   mint leaves, rinsed
2 cups   basil leaves, rinsed
1 cup     vietnamese cilantro (daun kesum)~optional
1 cup    roasted sesame
1 cup    roasted peanut, crashed
4 pkts   Lipton green tea bag
1 cups  hot water
(blend all ingredients into paste ~ like making pesto)

Method To Make Soup :
(1) bring a pot of water (about 3-4L) to boil over high heat.
(2) lower the heat then stir in the tea paste, add in 2 tspn vegetable granule and salt to taste.
(3) let soup simmer for 5 mins and then serve.
( to make it easier you can always divide into smaller portions and keep refrigerated or frozen before used.)

For side dishes, you can just stir fried all the ingredients separately with chopped garlic & salt to taste (except preserved radish & tofu) or you may choose to add in some dried shrimps but I chose not to. In this case, vegetarian eater may also easily fit in the party. I even served with extra stir fried basil leaves together. It tasted really really delicious.
Since my family not so fond of this meal, I'll have to make just a small portion of it to give it a try. I have my side dishes cooked including preserved radish, stir fried chinese chard, stir fried long beans and fried tofu. A little roasted peanut will definitely give it an extra kick.
*
I'm sending this to Sharon @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.

20 comments:

Amelia said...

Hi Kristy, wow..... thunder tea rice, one of my favorite. I can eat for lunch and dinner no problem. I have not try rice pop...when I next cook I will want to try. I'm sure it's very tasty too. I more fancy the soup and ingredients. LOL

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个很多功夫啊
我做过一次就投降了

Cheah ~ No-Frills Recipes said...

Wow, thunder rice! Personally I don't fancy this as I find that there's a lot of chewing....but it's healthy no doubt!

Fuat Gencal said...

Hayırlı günler, ellerinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.


Saygılar.

Ah Tze @ Awayofmind said...

Kristy, i saw some stalls selling this dish in Singapore but i hv never try it before too.

Belinda @zomppa said...

Wow! What a neat meal...so it's NOT just rice krispies...I want to try this.

Mich Piece of Cake said...

Hi Kristy, this is an acquired taste. The first time I had it, I did not like it, but have grown to love love love the sauce and ingredients...

Merryn said...

I tried this once in some organic eatery. The aroma is heavenly but I don't really like the taste ..

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

I love this lui cha very very much! I can the lui cha everyday :)

divya said...

Ahh...this looks absolutely delicious!!

Her Worldly Pleasures said...

Thanks for the recipe. My mom's Hakka but I've never had Lui Cha before but I can try now. Can I substitute the rice crispy with puffed rice?

lena said...

oh, i didn know that the hakkas eat this on the 7th day. so next time you can cook this lui cha special with rice pops the next time you visit your in laws!in sure they will be very impress!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Luckily my family like my homecook lui cha , hehehe ..usually I like side dish cook with hae bi.

Quay Po Cooks said...

I love lui cha but so much work to make this. I am sure home made is better than store bought. I must get rid of my lazy nerve before I attempt making this.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I’m stopping in to invite you to join us at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop
this week!

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-7-country-craft.html

I hope to see you there!
Cheers!
Kathy
The Chicken Chick

MaryMoh said...

Oooh....I love this dish VERY much. I was just talking about it to my aunty yesterday. It's such a healthy and delicious dish. I need to make it again. Actually this is the first time I see rice pops together with this dish. I think I would love it.....the crunch. Thanks very much for sharing. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

penny aka jeroxie said...

I love luicha but had many disappointing ones. I guess i need to cook it myself then.

Melissaesee said...

这个很多功夫啊 我做过一次就投降了

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe! Have a great day! :)

Anonymous said...

With all due respect, this recipe is incomplete. There is no cooking instruction for tofu, pickled radish and dried shrimps (for the sake of authenticity). That aside, I would also recommend cutting roasted sesame down to half cup. Sesame flavour should not overpower the fragrance of those 3 herbs combined.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...