Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Love It Or Hate It ~ Durian Yogurt Mousse Cake



It's durian season again! I remember back to 20+ years ago when my god-sister came back from New Zealand with her kiwi boyfriend for vacation, it was durian season too. And my god-sister is an absolute durian lover, she visited those durian stalls with her boyfriend and started introducing this indulgence local fruit to him. Guess....what is his respond????? "Gosh, it smell like sh**!" He nearly vomited. Can you imagine how his face was like when he has to stick with these durian eaters in the same car for the whole day. HAHAHA..... Extreme torturing, of coz! I guess that probably the worst day of his life. haha.... But for people like us, durian is the king of fruits and bitter sweet is my favourite. Every year I have full supply of them for free from friends around. I don't eat much even I love it. I sent mostly of them to my neighbour. And this year, I wanted to try it on my dessert.

So, here's what I did.
Ingredients for Chocolate sponge :
(A)
4 egg yolk
1/3 cup flour
3TB cocoa powder
2TB milk
2TB cooking oil

(B)
4 egg white
1/2 tspn cream of tartar (optional)
2 TB sugar
a pinch of salt

Method :
(1) beat ingredients (A) till smooth and pale.
(2) then whisk ingredients (B) till foamy & stiff.
(3) now, mix ingredient (B) into (A) in 3 batches till everything well combined.
(4) pour batter to a 8" tray, greased and coated with flour base.
(5) finally, bake at preheated oven 150'C for 20 mins & then 175'C 30 mins or till tester came out clean.
(6) leave to cool before releasing the cake from pan.
*I usually bake my sponge cake whenever I have time and then keep them into freezer. And use them whenever I want. Really convenient.

Ingredients for Durian Yogurt Mousse :
300-400gm  durian meat, mashed
250ml   plain yogurt
500ml   heavy cream
4 TB  sugar
2-1/2 TB  gelatine (soaked in 1/3 cup water)

Method :
(1) firstly, melt gelatine till dissolved & set aside.
(2) now, whip cream till stiff.
(3) finally, place all ingredients into a big bowl and hand mix till everything well combined.

*Cake decoration : 300-400ml  non-dairy whipping cream.
(for dairy whipping cream, add in 2TB icing sugar for flavouring)

TO ASSEMBLE :
(1) cut sponge into two(2) layers and line one layer to a 8" springfoam pan.
(2) then spread half portion of durian mousse over the 1st layer of sponge and cover it with another layer of sponge.
(3) finally, spread the remaining mousse over the final sponge evenly and then keep refrigerated for at least 2 hours or till set.
(4) remove cake from pan and decorate it with whipped cream.

Tips : it's best to use a taller hard cover plastic sheet to surround the inner cake pan, so that the mousse can be fully spread over the final sponge.

I love to pick imperfect looking durians especially those which was taken by squirrels. Cause they're simply genius. They knew how to choose a perfect fruit out of the tree. Clever me huh! kekeke.....For fine smoother mousse, you can strain the mousse by using a strainer. Oh....I skipped that cause I want everything down into my belly without wasting. Hope you will tooooooo....... Enjoy guys & hope you're all having a wonderful week ahead.

23 comments:

cikmanggis said...

Kristy!!!kasi saya satu potong kek tu!!looks so yummy..saya memang hantu durian...apa apa saja yang ada durian memang tak boleh tolak...

Betul saya pernah nampak orang putih yang tak suka durian dalam satu program kat tv..apabila dia makan je durian telinganya jadi merah dan hampir muntah.

Katanya bau durian seperti rotten fish hehe.

Elin Chia said...

Wow....Durian mousse cake...I want a slice please . Who doesn't like durians...I mean most malaysians love this king of fruits... I hantu durian but now have to cut them off completely ;p but I don't mind a slovenly your delish looking mousse cake ;)

~~louise~~ said...

Thank you for reintroducing me to this fruit, Kristy. I had forgotten all about it until I saw your tempting delight. I've never had it before but I sure wouldn't mind just a nibble.

Thanks for sharing...

divya said...

looks great.. drooling here :)

Medeja said...

Makes me so hungry! I would finsh half of the cake!

reana claire said...

Oh..how to hate them!! Surely must LOVE!!!!

MiMi Bakery House said...

i must bookmark yr recipe!!! I was still deciding if i shld try a durian cheese cake... kekeke.. thks for sharing tis recipe. Yr cake looks so heavenly delish, it must be a excellent treat!

Vivian Pang said...

The durian $ here is not cheap. So I don't have the luxury to bake with this king fruits :D by looking at yours make me drool :D how I wish I have friends who can supply me free durians :P

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

I'd definitely love it, Kristy. I can eat the whole cake myself... hee hee. Your cake looks so delicious.

Little Inbox said...

I'll love it for sure!

Anonymous said...

You really make it appear so easy along with your presentation but I to find this topic to be really something that I believe I'd never understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely huge for me. I'm having a look ahead in your subsequent put up, I will try to get the hang of it!
Here is my weblog ; my computer is slow

Amy said...

So true...love it or hate it. I'm crazily in love! Wish I get fresh durian here to make this!

Jess @ Bakericious said...

Kristy, I happened to be one of the durian lover! I just told my colleague yesterday that I am going for a durian feast this Sat, planning to buy lots of mao san durian keekeekee...

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Durian , either you hate it or love it , no in between . Wish to have a slice now, yummy!

Ann@Anncoo Journal said...

Kristy, wish I am your neighbour so I can get free durians every year :D

Lizzy Do said...

Wow, what a spectacular dessert! I've heard all about durians, but never seen, eaten nor smelled them! But I think I'd be mighty tempted if your cake was in front of me :)

Rebecca Subbiah said...

gorgeous cake and i would try it funny story

Cheah ~ No-Frills Recipes said...

No, I don't hate it but just love it, durians that is. Yes, the best durians are those that have been 'attacked' by squirrels. Mmmm...nice yummy cake!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

It looks fantastic and I am sure I would love it. Keep well Diane

lena said...

i love durians in bakes actually more than just eating them plain. The taste is really heavenly so far the ones that i've eaten. I bet the taste of your mousse cake is just as heavenly! oh, can be quite torturing for your godsister's boyfriend to be surrounded by people who had just eaten durian, hope nobody burped!

Angie's Recipes said...

I would love to taste it! The cake looks spectacular, Kristy.

MaryMoh said...

My gosh...Kristy, I so want to be your neighbour now...at least during the durian season....haha. You will pass me lots of durians, right? :D I would just eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner...hehe. Love your cake. Looks too good.......so torturing to look at it....haha

HungryLittleGirl said...

I have never even heard of durian :) I have to try this, I just hope I can find it at the store!
Thank you so much for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza! Hope to see you there again this week with more deliciousness :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...