Thursday, November 22, 2012

Homemade Dried Apples

Never had I thought of making my own dried apples. I was actually tempted by Angie @ Angie's Recipes after saw her using her homemade dried apples on some of her beautiful baked goods.And this is also another good way to finish off the leftover apples other than cooking them juicy fresh. It's too another best way for storage. Here let me show you how I did it.

Slice apples into a spiral with thickness as thin as 1/3-1/2cm. I prefer keeping the apple skin & seed attached in whole. Line them onto parchment paper and then sprinkle on some cinnamon powder mixture.

Finally, bake at preheated oven 170'c for the first 10 mins and then 150'C for an hour. Have to watch them closely. Immediately withdraw them from the oven when apple started to turn dark brown. For storage, pack them into plastic bags or containers and then keep refrigerated. It can at least last for 6-9 months.
There's also another way drying apple by traditional method. You may hang out all the sliced apples and then sun dry under the hot sun till done. Well, it may take days but it's the easiest & cheapest way.

12 comments:

Pamela said...

HI KRISTY!! THIS IS SOMETHING I'VE BEEN TRYING TO DO FOR A LONG TIME, BUT THEN I DIDN'T KNOW THE TIMES AND TEMPERATURES FOR THE OVEN, SO I WILL PREPARE THEM NOW. I THOUGHT OF HANGING THEM OUT TO SUN DRY, BUT THEN I THINK OF ALL THE FLIES AND OTHER BUGS THAT WOULD LAND ON THEM AND DIDN'T LIKE THE IDEA. THANKS FOR SUCH GREAT INFORMATION. BIG HUG

Lyndsey Chapin said...

Kristy these look perfect, and I like all the info you give us to do it on our own. I actually have a dehydrator that I have yet to use. I will pull it out soon! I want to try making dried orange slices.

Amelia said...

Hi Kristy, thank for sharing, your baked apple slice look so good.

Nammi said...

I always wanted to try making these. Did you use a mandolin sort of thing to slice them or just a knife

Medeja said...

My mom used to dry appled in the sun.. And I just couldn't wait.. I loved them so much! :)

divya said...

Looks great, delicious !!!!!

Elin Chia said...

Kristy...thanks , I will try making my own too :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Oh, this is a great idea for leftover apples.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Great that you have removed the word verification, sakit kepala trying to pass thru the test, hahaha..

Jess @ Bakericious said...

Kristy, thanks for sharing another great way to use up the apples.

Angie's Recipes said...

I like homemade dried apple rings. Taste really good flavoured with cinnamon.

lena said...

thank you for sharing dear. Didnt know they are made this way. I would prefer doing it in the oven :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...