Barbara @ Barbara Bakes. She did quite a number of them with different fillings and I just couldn't resist without copying down the recipe. Nazook is one of many famous goodies of Lebanese or Armenian. It is a layered yeasted dough pastry with sweet filling and often they used mahlab on it. Mahlab is some kind of middle east spices which is very popular among the region.. And what I like about it is ~ it's not overly sweet.
And here's what I did.
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tspn salt
2-1/4 tspn yeast
1 cup sour cream / yogurt
225gm butter, at room temperature
(1) combine flour, salt & yeast into a big bowl then mix well.
(2) next, stir in sour cream & butter to form a soft dough, knead to smooth.
(3) then wrap with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated for about 3-5 hours or overnight.
Ingredients for Fillings :
1 cup all purpose flour
170gm soft butter
1 cup sugar
1 grated lemon rind
1 grated orange rind
Method : beat butter & sugar till well mixed then stir in the rest ingredients and mix to combine. And set aside.
* 1 cup toasted coconut & 1 beaten egg for glazing
TO ASSEMBLE :
(1) withdraw dough from fridge and let to rest for 15 mins.
(2) divide into 4 portions and roll each into a ball.
(3) flatten one dough at a time, by rolling out on a floured working table into rectangle shape.
(4) then simply spread the filling & toasted coconut on and roll it up starts from one of the long side.
(5) pat down the loaf a little bit and then cut into few portions.
(6) place pastry to baking pan line with grease proof paper and let to rest for 10 mins.
(7) finally brush the top with egg glazing and bake at preheated oven 175-180'C for about 30 mins or till crispy brown.
I'm sending this to Wild Yeast @ Yeastspotting & Bake Your Own Bread.