Spicy Turmeric Chicken

Did you realize that X'mas is just a couple of days away? And then here comes 2013. Phewwww...... Guess, everyone already in the holiday mood and some even started planning their menu for the coming celebration weeks ago or even months ago. I'm not celebrating it but I can feel the joy like everyone else. So much fun, just like a little kid ! :o) However, the Chinese is too looking forward to the final celebration of the year which is called 'dongzhi' or winter solstice. And it's fall on the 21st of December this year. I think it also brings the meaning of new beginning and NOT the end of the world. So for the pre-celebration, I made my family a yummy delicious spicy chicken.

And here's what I did.
Ingredients :
1 whole chicken, chopped in pieces
2 tbsp turmeric powder
salt & pepper to taste

Blended Paste :
1 inch ginger
1 large onion
5 shallots
5 cloves garlic
1 inch fresh lengkuas/blue ginger
1 inch fresh turmeric
2 stalk lemongrass, 2 inches from the bottom part (sliced)
handful of bird eye chilies

Method :
(1) marinade chicken pieces with salt & pepper and turmeric powder, leave to rest for 1/2 hour.
(2) deep fried the chicken till brown, then set aside.
(3)  remove cooking oil from wok or pan and leave only about 1/2 cup of it.
(4)  on the heat and stir in the blended mixture, then saute till fragrant.
(5)  next add in fried chicken and simmer over low heat till everything well blended for about 15 mins. Stir constantly to prevent burnt.
(6) remove the chicken once the strong aroma of spices appeared & blended paste became dried, make sure you don't burnt it.

Kids missed their mom's home cook food a lot cause haven't been cooking much lately. haha.... Actually, I just got back from a short vacation. I went home to visit & spent a few days time with my parents. It was wonderful. I had so much fun enjoying the food back home and am now planning what else to take on my next visit home. :o)

Wishing all my readers a very Happy Holiday Season. Enjoy & have loads of fun !
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...