middle east baking. haha... Honestly, their bake goods are simply amazing. Mostly loaded of nuts & dates....special spices (mahlab) & blossom water! Emmmm...... I wonder where can I get those blossom water. I have rose water but not blossom water. Sounds like a mission impossible here ! :o) Don't worry. I am not going to stop right here.
550gm all purpose flour
3-1/2 TB sugar
1 TB yeast
1/2 TB rose water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
5 egg yolk
50gm butter, chopped
2 TB corn oil
For fillings : Refer here.
*2 cups pitted whole date, with open face
*egg glazing : 1 egg yolk + 1/2 TB milk
& some poppy seeds for topping
(or recipe from here)
(1) combine all ingredients into a big bowl and stir to form a soft & smooth dough.
(2) leave to rest for an hour or till double in size, then punch to release air & knead to smooth. (rub your hands with oil when handling sticky dough, do not use flour)
(3) once it's ready, place dough to slightly floured working table and divide into 2 portions.
(4) dust extra flour over dough and roll out flat around 9x10" in size, cut into half.
(5) line pitted dates to both dough then cover with citrus sugar filling.
(6) wrap each filling dough and make sure everything is nicely sealed. (repeat the remaining dough as mention)
(7) now, cut each wrapped rolls into 6 portions and line them to baking tray.
(8) give it another 5-10 mins rest and then brush with egg glazing.
(9) finally, bake at preheated oven 190'C for about 13-15 mins or till nicely brown.
I'm sending this to Wild Yeast @ Yeastspotting & Bake Your Own Bread.