Monday, December 10, 2012

Choreg / Chorak ~ The Armenian Brioche


After two Armenian recipes, I'm still in the mood of making more middle east baking. haha... Honestly, their bake goods are simply amazing. Mostly loaded of nuts & dates....special spices (mahlab) & blossom water! Emmmm...... I wonder where can I get those blossom water. I have rose water but not blossom water. Sounds like a mission impossible here ! :o) Don't worry. I am not going to stop right here.

Ingredients for dough :
550gm   all purpose flour
3-1/2 TB  sugar
1 TB   yeast
1/2 TB rose water
1/2 cup  milk
1/2 cup  water
5 egg yolk
50gm  butter, chopped
2 TB  corn oil

For fillings : Refer here.
*2 cups pitted whole date, with open face
*egg glazing : 1 egg yolk + 1/2 TB milk
& some poppy seeds for topping
(or recipe from here)

Method :
(1) combine all ingredients into a big bowl and stir to form a soft & smooth dough.
(2) leave to rest for an hour or till double in size, then punch to release air & knead to smooth. (rub your hands with oil when handling sticky dough, do not use flour)
(3) once it's ready, place dough to slightly floured working table and divide into 2 portions.
(4) dust extra flour over dough and roll out flat around 9x10" in size, cut into half.
(5) line pitted dates to both dough then cover with citrus sugar filling.
(6) wrap each filling dough and make sure everything is nicely sealed. (repeat the remaining dough as mention)
(7) now, cut each wrapped rolls into 6 portions and line them to baking tray.
(8) give it another 5-10 mins rest and then brush with egg glazing.
(9) finally, bake at preheated oven 190'C for about 13-15 mins or till nicely brown.

The origin Armenian filling  is mostly made with dates paste but I think I have to skip that. To make it simple, I used whole pitted dates. Yeap,  that sounds like a lazy baker! haha.... Reminder ~ never stress out when you tried to bake or cook something. Just be comfortable with what you have and use any other ingredients as substitute. Otherwise, nothing delicious will comes out of your oven. Just enjoy & have fun ! And also have a wonderful holiday season.
*
I'm sending this to Wild Yeast @ Yeastspotting & Bake Your Own Bread.

22 comments:

Gloria said...

I love brioches and these look really delicious:)

Pamela said...

MY GOD! THIS IS BEAUTIFUL, I MUST MAKE THESE DELIGHT. BIG HUGS

Pamela said...

MY GOD! THIS IS BEAUTIFUL, I MUST MAKE THESE DELIGHT. BIG HUGS

Pamela said...

MY GOD! THIS IS BEAUTIFUL, I MUST MAKE THESE DELIGHT. BIG HUGS

Pamela said...

MY GOD! THIS IS BEAUTIFUL, I MUST MAKE THESE DELIGHT. BIG HUGS

Angie's Recipes said...

These biroche look delish, Kristy. Love the date filling.

divya said...

Looks delicious...very tempting

Ann@Anncoo Journal said...

These biroche looks so good! Wish I can try some :)

Jeannie Tay said...

Brioche are very rich and delicious, these look delicious!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Keep e coming because beautiful breads like this never get old!

Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez said...

I have not been able to locate any orange blossom water, either. One of these days... These little brioche are so tempting! I've totally been in the mood for Middle Eastern food lately.

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Beautiful, Kristy. I love dates and am always looking for new ways to bake with them.

Pam said...

Wow! These are fantastic! They look mouthwatering delicious and I wish I could reach through and grab one!

Anonymous said...

Guess what, you are usually a awesome read
although these times I am like it is put together just a little hasty.
I'd often be drastically wrong about it nonetheless it just simply doesn’t move such as various other discussions. Sorry about it.
Also visit my webpage :: Records Search

Anonymous said...

Sometimes responses like these will be tough to have faith in nonetheless there’s a great deal of suitable as well as precious guidelines here.
Those who submit this info need to be thanked.
Feel free to surf my blog Cheap Car Insurance Quote

Anonymous said...

It’s never near being highly relevant to the knowledge, although my
sister just approved as well as seen the phrase blogger on the screen.
In her view, your woman truly seen booger, in addition to talked
about the reason why I was reading with regards to boogers.
I haven’t giggled over-time using many days.
Have a look at my homepage ; Remedies For Genital Warts

Anonymous said...

My family along with my pal had been quarrelling a great difficulty similar to this!
At this moment we all know that I has been good.
lol! Thanks for the tips someone write-up.
Look into my web site :: Genital Warts Natural

lena said...

i thought you just came back from armenia! haha! i like to see that goden shining top on your brioche, that's really attractive, no filling also i sapu!

Mich Piece of Cake said...

These brioches look delicious! Love the filling of dates.

Janine said...

i love how yellow the dough looks, it just means that it is super rich in yolk and is definitely yummy! i should try my hands at middle east baking - have never tried before!

Lizzy Do said...

Date filled brioche sounds amazing!!!! Perfectly done!

MaryMoh said...

These look so good. Now I wish I can have some for breakfast or even lunch. I want to make bread again too :D Hope you have a great weekend, Kristy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...