1-1/2 cup warm water
2 TB sugar
2-1/2 tspn yeast
4-1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tspn salt
50gm butter, melted
*for coating :
3 TB nori flakes
3 TB parmesan cheese powder
1/2 cup cinnamon sugar mixture (with 1 TB cinnamon powder)
*Egg wash : 1 egg yolk mixt with 2 tspn milk
*50gm butter, melted for coating
4 cups water mixture with 2 TB baking soda
(1) mix together sugar, water & yeast and let to rest for 10 minutes then fold in flour, salt & butter to form a soft dough. Knead till smooth.
(2) place dough to working table and divide into 8 portions then let to rest for 30 minutes, cover with tower.
(3) at this moment, bring soda water to boil then lower the heat and let it simmering hot (not boiling). Get all the coating ingredients ready as well.
(4) now, roll out each piece of dough into a 24-26 inches rope, lay it on the working table then hold each end in one hand and make a U-shape with the rope, twist the end of the rope then bring it down to the bottom of the U in order to form pretzel.
(5) after completing two pretzel dough, drop one into the simmering water while you're about to make the 3rd one. Let dough stay in the hot water till you've completed the 3rd pretzel.
(6) now, bring out the hot pretzel dough onto kitchen tower then transfer to greased baking tray. Brush egg wash to dough then sprinkle on salt & topping as desired (for cinnamon sugar will have to go as final coating after baking, brush on some melted butter before coating).
(7) finally, bake at preheated oven 220'C for about 12 minutes or till golden brown.
Hereby, I would like to wish all readers a very happy Chop Goh Mei (Chinese Valentine's Day) and also the last day of the Chinese New Year ! Have fun guys !