Hubby requested this special dish on his birthday last week This is one of his favourite childhood dish he loves very much. Normally, his eldest sister will prepare it whenever there's gathering function at home. So no matter by hook or by cook, I've to come up with this dish. hehe...... This dish is unlike the thick masak lemak ayam cili padi (chicken in thick coconut gravy). This jackfruit version is more liquidity and not as thick but light and aromatic.And that is why I am loving it too !
a quarter of raw jackfruit, cleaned & cut into bite size
3 stalk lemongrass, take only the bottom & roughly smashed
1 cup thick coconut milk
4 cups water
1 large turmeric leaf, thinly sliced
salt to taste
some chicken meat (as desired)
some oyster mushroom
Blended ingredients :
1 large onion
5 cloves garlic
1/2" ginger, sliced
1" fresh turmeric, skinned & sliced
10 green bird eye chilies
5 red bird eye chilies
(bring everything into blender with some water & grind to paste)
(1) bring a pot of water to boil then put in all the clean jackfruit and let to simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes then drained.
(2) preheat a wok or non-stick pan with some 1/2 cup cooking oil, saute the blended paste & smashed lemongrass till fragrant.
(3) add in water & coconut milk then bring it to boil and continue boiling it for 10 minutes.
(4) add in chicken meat & half cooked jackfruit, let to boil for another 10 minutes then switch to medium heat. Continue cooking till jackfruit turned soft and the gravy became thick.
(5) finally, stir in mushroom, turmeric leaf & salt and cook for 2 minutes then off the heat and serve.