smiling mantou @ steamed buns. I tried making it last year but failed to give me the happy face. haha..... I really have no time to go for further experiment at that moment and stopped working on it for a while. Since the Hungry Ghost festival is coming soon, I'm planning to make one batch this year offering to the 'Hungry Ghost'. >o< And the buns are making me smile again ! Honestly, I haven't seen these buns sold around here before. However, according to Kenneth @ Guaishushu these mantou can still be found in Kuching, Dalat and Miri, Sarawak.
beautiful blossom mantou @ moho buns !
130gm all purpose flour
1 TB sugar
1-1/2 tspn yeast
(mix all ingredients till smooth then rest for an hour)
300gm all purpose flour
2 TB shortening
1 tspn vinegar / lye water
2 tspn baking powder
(1) mix together water, vinegar & baking powder and stir well.
(2) now, place starter dough, flour, sugar, shortening & water mixture into mixing bowl and stir to form a soft smooth dough. Then set. aside to rest for an hour
(3) when ready, punch dough to release excess air then knead till smooth.
(4) divide dough into two portions, roll one portion into about 20" long rope shape and then flatten the other portion into 20x12" rectangle shape.
(5) next, place the rope shape dough onto the flatten dough and roll it up like a swiss roll.
(6) divide into 6 portions by twisting each of them for separation and place each dough to parchment papers.
(7) rest for another 15 minutes and then steam for 25 minutes over high heat.
HOT... HOT.... HOT !!!! Its steamy hot buns.