my Herman project. I worked on most of my recipe from scratch and still experimenting. Its quite a challenge to work with the Asian food without an actual measurement by using Herman starter. Surprisingly, the result is overwhelming especially this Hakka steamed bun which I made the other day.
**1 cup Herman starter + 1 cup all purpose flour + 1 cup water + 1/3 cup sugar
2 cups herman starter
1 cup glutinous rice flour
1 cup all purpose flour
3 TB sugar
1/3 cup corn oil /peanut oil
1 tspn pandan paste /red ros water
*banana leaf cut into 4x4" length then greased with oil
(1) combine both flour & sugar then mix well.
(2) stir in herman starter & pandan paste till sticky dough is formed, add in oil and continue kneading till smooth and no longer sticky.
(3) divide dough by using an ice cream scoop then round them with your oil coating hand.
(4) place dough to banana leaf and set aside to rest for at least 3 hours.
**Tips : I have chosen to activate my previous Herman starter with water instead of milk. I personally prefer water to go into this particularly Chinese Kuih and not milk. I did note that milk works better than water. Milk helps to generate more bubbles than water.
(6) once its done, let them rest in steamer for 5 minutes with a closing lid before transferring them onto rack.