Hakka Steamed Braised Pork In Taro @ 芋头扣肉
Some time ago, one of the group member gifted me this special five spice powder where she brought all the way back from Penang and this is the only packet left in my pantry. Its one of the famous product from Pok Oy Thong Medical Hall of Penang. Very very fragrant and its wonderful to work with this special hakka dish. So.... show time ! LOL....
It is best to slice the roast pork as well as the taro into same thickness which is about 1mm thick. This will certainly help in the arrangement later on. On the other hand, everything will be evenly cooked by then.
500gm taro, skinned & sliced
300-350gm roast pork, sliced
3 shallots, sliced
3 gloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
Seasoning mixture :
2 pcs preserved red beancurd with 2 TB red sauce
1 TB preserved bean paste, minced
2 TB brown sugar
1 TB light soy sauce
1/2 tspn five spice
a pinch of pepper
(combine everything then mixed well)
(1) first of all, fry the sliced taro/yam till golden brown then set aside.
(2) now, preheat the pan or wok with 3TB cooking oil and saute shallots & garlic till fragrant.
(3) add in the 5 spice powder & continue saute for 1 second then stir in the seasoning and let to cook over medium heat for another 1 second, after that pour in 1 cup water and bring it to boil.
(4) add in sliced roasted pork and let to cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or till soft.
(5) remove pork from the gravy and set aside, then add in the remaining water and again bring it to boil.
(6) at this point, add in thickening and continue cooking for about 30 seconds.
(7) off the heat, transfer the remaining gravy to fried taro and make sure everything is soaked into gravy.
Pour in the remaining graving onto the meat & taro then cover the bowl with a plastic sheet. Finally, steam for an hour.