Friday, June 25, 2010

Easy Mustard Green Soup

We call this kind of green veggie as 'choy sum', in cantonese; and also named as mustard greens in other words. This kind of green veggie is easily found here. After searching the site, I only found out that it is actually an excellent anticancer vegetable. Besides of that, they also be beneficial especially for women who are going through menopause. They have the ability to protect against breast cancer and heart disease. Their high content of nutrients (such as calcium, folic acid, and magnesium) is also supportive of bone health. Isn't that sounds wonderful. I normally used them in my braised noodle, noodle soup, stir fried or veggie soup. It tastes better after cooked. ^_^

So, here's my simple recipe.

Ingredients :

1 Lt homemade chicken broth
200gm minced chicken meat
1 egg, lightly beaten
one bunch of mustard green, washed and cut small portions
salt & pepper to taste
1 large onion, chopped
3 slices fresh ginger

Method :

- bring chicken broth to boil.
- add in onion & ginger slices and simmer over medium heat untill the onion became tender. (add in extra water if needed)
- then place in minced chicken meat (marinade with salt & pepper, a tspn of sesame oil & a tspn of corn flour), let it simmer untill the meat is cooked.
- now, add in the green veggie and bring to boil over high heat.
- off the heat immediately after that and then pour in the beaten egg and let it stand there untill it's serve. (do not stir the soup)
*I omit the salt because the minced chicken meat already good enough for the flavouring.

Hope you guys will enjoy this simple soup recipe. This kind of soup is actually quite similar to those Mexican Wedding Soup.
*
And before ending this, there are some good friends that I wanted to thank them for.... passing these wonderful awards to me. I'm truely honoured and also very sorry for the delay. Hope you would mind!
A big thank to Shirley @ Welcome To Shirley's Luxury Haven! , a dear friend from Singapore. We met at Foodbuzz.

Thank you so much, Fimere @ Aux délices des gourmets , for passing all these beautiful awards to me. I love them very much.

Now, this is one award that I'm really proud of myself. Thank you very much for passing this to me and believing in me, Chaya @ My Sweet & Savory. According to her, this is a very special award. So, I'm going to take good care of it and promise to keep on the good work.
*
And I'm going to pass all these awards to some good friends who deserve it.
*
(1) Penny @ Jeroxie-Addictive and consuming ~ this baby is getting better & better each day!
(2) Lyndsey @ The Tiny Skillet ~ she works hard to try all the new things! ((hugs))
(3) Bo @ Bo's Bowl ~ believe me, you going to like him too!
(4) Drick @ Drick's Rumbling Cafe ~ amazing seafood recipes guru!
(5) Heavenly Housewife ~ she's been trying so hard to make macaroons!
(6) 3 Hungry Tummies ~ these guys are awesome cook!
(7) Reeni @ Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice ~ she's an amazing cook!
(8) Silvia @ Citron et Vanille ~ she's my inspiration!
(9) Denise @ Quickies on the dinner table ~ check her out if you prefer quick meal!
*
Please feel free to drop by to collect the buttons!

34 comments:

alison said...

hello,kristy!a unique soup,i think it was delicious!and congrats for awards,you desserved it!

Trendsetters said...

very cool to know so much abt mustard greens

Jay said...

This looks very delicious...And has such terrific flavor...!

Drick said...

Kristy, you are a sweetheart, thanks for the wonderful awards and kind words....many blessings to you and yours - we cook with mustard greens all the time in the south, adding them to many dishes, very good in Creole gumbo....

wendyywy @ Table for 2 or more..... said...

Actually all vege from the crucifer family are anti cancers.
Cabbage, brussels sprouts (choy dam), kailan, brocolli, mustard (kai choy), siew pak choy, all are crucifers and should be consumed regularly.

Lyndsey said...

Those are some nice awards Kristy, and you deserve them all. Thank you for your kind words. I do like to try new things...I also like to make some tried and true good ol' standbys.

This soup looks like a good way to use some greens! It sure looks tasty and healthy, can't beat that! Take care! xoxo Lyndsey~

Belinda @zomppa said...

OK, don't call me stupid, but you just shed light on an age-old mystery for me. Mustard greens=choy sum? Oh....

Foodessa said...

Every time I get a chance to be at an Asian grocer...I grab a great big bunch of mustard greens...love them!

Kristy...your awards are very well deserved...Congrats ;o)

Flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Cinnamon-Girl said...

The soup is so light and healthy! Perfect for the summer. And congratulations on your awards! Thanks so much for thinking of me. Your the best!

citronetvanille said...

Oh Kristy! You should be proud to have gotten this award, you totally deserve it! And how can I thank you for adding me on your list of awards? Thanks infinitely for thinking of me this way, so sweet of you. Your pastries and breads are certainly some of the most beautiful creations I have seen. I love those mustard greens and this is a perfect way to prepare them and still get a kick out of their nice bitter flavor. Kristy! Merci!

divya said...

what a wonderful presentation! looks so delicious and tempting.

Sook said...

I was looking for mustard green at a grocery store the other week and could not find them mainly because I didn't know what they looked like. Now I know!

penny aka jeroxie said...

We make this at home as well. I love soup... and mum makes this when I go back for visits.

Bridgett said...

This looks so healthy! I love this recipe.

smallkucing said...

I boil this soup too. Sometimes change the vege to cabbage or other type of vege

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Hi Kristy - hope you are well :)

This soup reminds me so much of my grandma! She cooked it very often when I was very, very young, but she would never dare add egg because I always hated eggs and would not touch it! Now that I'm a mum I realise how much trouble I gave my poor grandma about food and should not complain when my kids are picky LOL

Congratulations on your awards - you truly deserve them and more! Thank you so much for thinking of me and sharing your awards so generously!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Hi Kristy - hope you are well :)

This soup reminds me so much of my grandma! She cooked it very often when I was very, very young, but she would never dare add egg because I always hated eggs and would not touch it! Now that I'm a mum I realise how much trouble I gave my poor grandma about food and should not complain when my kids are picky LOL

Congratulations on your awards - you truly deserve them and more! Thank you so much for thinking of me and sharing your awards so generously!

Peanutts said...

very healthy soup, looks delish. Hope everything going well at your end of malaysian, having very nice weather over here :)

Shirley said...

Simple and comforting soup!

3 hungry tummies said...

Thank you Kristy! Collected!
The soup looks simple and delicious, I love quick soup like this!

elra said...

Simply delicious!

Angie's Recipes said...

Congratulations for all the AWARDS!
I love the clear soup like this...right for the summer.

Jeannie said...

Congrats for all the beautiful awards you've won! Healthy soup there, I like to cook a bowl and eat as a meal whenever I am alone.

PranisKitchen said...

never tried this leafy veg.. nice one realy good flavour

Heavenly Housewife said...

Oh thank you so so so much for the award my daaaahling, it is so good that you appreciate my hard work. Yes i have been working hard. I must tell Mr P to give me a treat :D
*kisses* HH

Cheah said...

I always make this soup, add in some fish balls, yummy!

Juliana said...

Oh! What a nice and healthy soup...and congratulations on your awards :-)

penny aka jeroxie said...

THANK YOU!!! And you deserve all the awards too. I wish I could give you a big hug in person.... <3

alwayswinner786 said...

Kristy congrats on your awards!
What a wonderful super delicious summery soup! Great!

Elin said...

Kristy...Congrats on your awards...you deserve them :) and this soup is simply delicious. Simple yet tasty. I love soup with lots of green :)

My Little Space said...

Hi Everyone,

Wow.... Firstly, I would like to aplogize for not replying all of your comments in time. I'm sure you guys will understand what situation I'm into right now. I'll try my best to do better.

Thank you very much for visiting me and really happy to see you guys around. You make me smile. =o)

Hope you're all having a fabulous day and the day to come.

Blessings, Kristy

Bo said...

Hey Kristy,
I'm a little late...Congrats on the awards...and thanks for passing it on to me. The mustard I see here usually has a curly leave...just a different variety I guess..the flowers on it look the same.

My Little Space said...

Bo : Ya, you're right! There are actually a few varieties of mustard green available in the market. Hope you will enjoy it too!
Cheers, Kristy

cherry potato said...

I like this soup very much.

BTW, congrats for the awards.

Cheers!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...