Friday, June 18, 2010

Red Beans Savory Rice Dumpling

I only started making my own rice dumpling since last year, just after started blogging. Haha... I'll have to say I have improved alot within this whole year of time. I'm really proud of myself. I've learned so much and I'm going to keep on the good work. Frankly, my mother has never made any rice dumplings before, nor any baking! But she cooked well for us. This rice dumpling is actually my in-laws' traditional recipe. And I'm honoured to make them this year and many more years to come. This is yet a very simple recipe, not much ingredients are used. Mainly are glutinous rice, beans and just a piece a chicken meat.

And here's the recipe as follow.
Ingredients :
1kg glutinous rice, soaked overnight
1-1/2 cup cooking oil
a few shallots, chopped
3 cloves whole garlic, skinned & slightly smashed

Seasoning for glutinous rice :
2 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce/mushroom sauce
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tspn five spice powder
2 tspn coriander powder
1 tspn white pepper powder
1 tspn salt

Method :
- steamed the soaked glutinous rice for 20 mins without additional water.
- by then, fry sliced shallots & garlics with all the cooking oil.
- remove the garlics and place the oil mixture to a big bowl.
- stir in all the seasonings to mix well.
- once the rice is ready, immediately stir in the seasoning mixture and mix well.
Red Beans & Mung Beans Fillings :
1/2kg red beans, soaked overnight
water to boil
100gm sugar
1 tspn salt

- combine all ingredients and boil untill the red beans became tender soft.
- drained and then keep chill.
(I normally make this a day before and keep chill before used, much easier to handle)

200gm mung beans
1/2 tspn salt

- washing mung beans thoroughly and then soak with salt and water for 3 hours.
- drain and leave aside.

Ingredients for Fried Chicken meat :
2 boneless chicken thigh meat
salt & pepper to taste
3 tbsp corn flour

- marinade chicken meat with all the ingredients and then deep fry untill cooked.

TO ASSEMBLE :
- prepared at least 40 cleaned 'zhong'/bamboo leaves and some strings.
- fold a piece of bamboo leaf into cone shape.
- fill in a tablespoon of rice then some red beans & mung beans and then a piece of meat.
- top with glutinous and then cover & shape into triangle.
- secure with a string untill finish the whole process.
- boil the dumpling for 1-1/2 hours and then leave cool before serving.

Maybe because life has never been easy in the past and for those are not so rich, they only used simple ingredients in this kind of dumplings. I think this is much healthier since mainly are beans and the best thing was not much animals' fat added in. I love the sweetness of the beans and it really does make it so unique. Btw, a Vietnamese friend told me that they normally used fresh bananas and fresh coconut shreds in it. I think that is pretty cool too! Maybe I should try it some time. Hope you all will have a great weekend!

36 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

You are so impressive!

Jess @ Bakericious said...

wow looks delicious! I stil remember my learning of wrapping dumpling many many yrs ago, it was tedious but quite fun :).

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love rice dumplings. Yours sound & look delicious & healthy! Great job!

PranisKitchen said...

delicious dumplings..is this prepare for special occasion ..

Cool Lassi(e) said...

This looks fabulous! Can I use corn husks to pack the dumplings? Happy dumpling festival! I saw in someone blog(Sonia, i think) about dumpling festival.

How is your finger, dear?

5 Star Foodie said...

These dumplings look wonderful, love the fillings!

wendyywy @ Table for 2 or more..... said...

First time seeing the combo of sweet red beans with savoury meat filling.

The addition of coriander powder gives it a slight nyonya feel, and the sweeetness of the red bean.. yeah, a twisted nyonya version. Hahahaha.

But this version is truly a fresh idea :) Or maybe I "sanba" never see before only.

citronetvanille said...

Oh I have tasted those a while ago and always enjoy trying Asian specialties, it's so exotic for me. Those are so cute, like little bundles of happiness, just like you :o)

Bridgett said...

Oh wow, I am so impressed you made these! They look perfect and scrumptious. I agree, the banana and coconut might be spectacular.

pigpigscorner said...

wow, you did a great job! I always have problems with the wrapping. I didn't make any this year cause too lazy =P

My Little Space said...

Belinda : Thanks! I wonder have you tried this before?

Jess : Actually, it's quite easy and fun to do this with a group of friends or relatives.

Andrea : Thanks alot! Glad that you like it.

Pranis : Yes, we just celebrated our 'Duan Wu Jie' festival! You can check this out from my last posting.

Lassi(e) : Corn! That's a good idea too. Let's see what I can do with that. Btw, my finger is healing well. I'll try to get it posted when I'm free, ya!

Natasha : Thank you! I hope you can have some of my homemade dumplings too.

Wendy : Haha...just like ah beng & ah lian! Maybe because of the aging problem, I much prefer lighter flavouring food.

Silvia : Haha...and you're also one of those bundle of happiness as well! ((hugs))

Bridgett : Thank you! Hope to share some of these with you too. Ya, I know! Banana & coconut sound pretty good huh!

Pigpigcorner : Thanks! Lots of preparation need to be done, not easy though!

Thank you so much for visitng guys! Hope you're all having a great weekend.

Cheers, Kristy

Laura in Paris said...

I love gultinous rice dumplings .. wall I love rice in every way you can present it! These dumplings looks delicious!

smallkucing said...

seems a lot of work but nice to eat :D

Lyndsey said...

Those are some nice looking dumplings Kristy! You do such good work, very impressive. Nice flavor combination too, using red beans in a savory dumpling.

Good to hear your finger in healed! Have a great weekend! Cheers!

Heavenly Housewife said...

I love seeing the beautiful and unusual things that come out of your kitchen. These dumplings look fabulous.
Have a great weekend.
*kisses* HH

Cheah said...

So you've been busy, busy, wrapping up dumplings. They look yummy and good creation too, red beans and chicken meat. Wish I can wrap dumplings too. Maybe it's time to learn.

ICook4Fun said...

I remember my mother wrap it with chicken meat one year because our maid was a Muslim so that she can eat it too but it just doesn't taste the same as pork. Like Wendy this is the first time I come across the savoury and sweet red bean combinations. Very refreshing idea :)

My Little Space said...

Laura : I pretty sure you had lots of these during your stay in S'pore a couple years back!

Smallkucing : Of coz, dear! Chinese food always so complicated to make...isn't it so? But well worth it!

Lynd : Guess, you haven't try this before! Too bad, can't share these with you. Maybe you can ask for the readymade one next year, at your nearby Chinese restaurant or Asian food store. Wish you luck! & thanks for your concern but my finger is not 100% back to normal(not as sensitive as usual). The nerve system only healed about 80%. Strange feeling!

HH : Thanks alot! Since you don't have the slim gene in you....then better leave these alone! haha...

Cheah : No, not busy of making these but busy at my hubby's workshop. A few projects came in last week and I need to standby for some delivery.

ICook4fun : Sorry to let you know that my family doesn't take pork. =o) So, it doesn't matter at all. No, we're not Muslim! They just don't like the smell & taste of it or any other red meat except fish & chicken. I think duck & turkey is OK too! hehe... See, that's why I don't have much red meat recipes here in my blog! Btw, one of my hubby's elder sibling is a Muslim.

Thank you so much everyone for spending your time here today. Hope you're all having a great weekend too. Have fun!

Cheers, Kristy

Cinnamon-Girl said...

I bet these are delicious Kristy! I wish I could try one! Or three. Hope you have a great weekend!

alwayswinner786 said...

This look too delicious and healthy! I think it's a total meal and you have all nutrients packed into one!
Will try it soon!
Happy Father's Day!

Anncoo said...

Mmm...looks delicious and very well wrapped. I have not wrapped dumpling for two years because firstly it's a tedious job to make this and secondly there are many stores selling dumplings.

Cooking with Kait said...

You have so many wonderful bamboo leaves wrapped treats and this looks just as good as the others.

penny aka jeroxie said...

I love to make my own over here too. None here that I have tried is good at all.

My Little Space said...

Reeni : Thank you, dear! Hope that I could share these with you too. ^_^

Alwayswinner : Yes, indeed! Same to you, dear.

Anncoo : I know rice dumplings are easily found over here too but not the flavour I'm craving for. So, I decided to make my own ones.

Kait : Thank you for your kind words. Hope I could share some of these with you.

Penny : Isn't it fun! Maybe a little preparations need to be done, other than that is fine to me! Frankly, at first I hated the boiling session but not anymore. Glad that I get through it.

Thank s alot guys for stopping by and spending your weekend with me here. Hope you're all having a great day!

Cheers, Kristy

tasteofbeirut said...

These dumplings look so pretty they are like a work of art; I love the different ingredients and the wrapper; I would love to expand my repertoire of dumplings and this would be a good place to start. Thanks for a great recipe!

Fimère said...

très appétissant et très tentant aussi, il faudrait un de ces jours que tu m'invites pour pouvoir goûter à toutes ces merveilles
bonne soirée

sweetlife said...

great filling on your perfect dumpolings...great recipe

sweetlife

Cook with Madin said...

I love all the fillings in your dumplings, like the last one you posted with ginkgo and longan, and you wrapped them so nice. I love dumplings, but I need to practice more in wrapping.

reanaclaire said...

er...kristy.. any courier service for those yummylicious dumplingS? :p

tigerfish said...

You are making me (a person who has not eaten any rice dumpling this year) so hungry and deprived!

Mary said...

I'm sure these are delicious, but I must tell you they are a feast for the eyes. This is really a great recipe. Thank you! Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Trix said...

Oh my, I HAVE to make this for Poppa Trix! He would fall over, he just loves this sort of thing, mmmm.

WizzyTheStick said...

I want to make this but I would have to actually see the wrapping of the cone shape since that looks difficult

Anh said...

I really wish I could get a hang of wrapping those - so pretty and delicious

Belinda @zomppa said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU AND YOURS!

Choclette said...

Well I'm not surprised you are proud, these look amazing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...