Saturday, December 25, 2010

Homemade Beignet

What is a Beignet? Beignet is actually just a simple pastry made from deep-fried dough to something much like doughnuts, dust with sugar or any form of frosting. It's also called as French doughnut! Or some may even served with sweet cream fillings which is more interesting, as what they called 'Beignet de creme'.

And here's the recipe.
Ingredients for pastry dough:
(A)
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
3 tspn yeast
(combine and let it stand for 5 mins)

(B)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp melted butter
2 cups bread flour
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tspn salt

Method :
(1) combine flour and salt in a big bowl.
(2) stir in ingredients (A), milk, butter & egg, then mix to form a soft dough.
(3) place dough in a covered container and keep refrigerated for 3 hours or more.
(4) then place dough onto a slightly floured working table and roll out flat around 1/2cm thickness.
(5) divide dough into equally square or rectangle shape and leave to rest for 10 mins.


(6) finally, deep fry untill golden brown and coat with cinnamon icing sugar after cooled.

*cinnamon icing sugar : 1 cup icing sugar + 1 tbsp cinnamon powder.

This is quite a large portion of recipe and there are plenty to serve. Would be great for this holiday season when family members gathered around enjoying this sweet little snacks. It actually tastes a little like the Chinese crullers, 'ham chim peng'. I stuffed some of them with lime curd cream and it is really really luscious. Enjoy everyone!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !

19 comments:

Jess @ Bakericious said...

Kristy, these beignet looks like donut. Again, Merry Xmas to you.

lena said...

wish i cld just take a bite now..looks soft from the way you hold that..thanks for sharing this.

Pegasuslegend said...

I had seen a episode with Rachel Ray saying she ate the best benignets in New Orleans recently. They intruigue me since I had never had them. Now after seeing these up close I can't wait to try them they look fabulous! So glad you posted Merry Christmas this is a wonderful recipe and looks like I will give this a try soon!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love the cinnamon anything! GOtta try the recipe one day, hopefully soon.

Merry Christmas!
Angie

Belinda @zomppa said...

Goodness - I'm with Angie on this one. Wish I had some this morning!!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Your beignets look delicious! Looking at them, reminds me of years ago, when my teenage son was little and we made beingets together. It was such a mess!!! The whole kitchen was dusted in flour after we were done, and it seemed like I cleaned for days... But, they were delicious, and it's a fond memory now that he is all grown up and in college! :-)

alwayswinner786 said...

Kristy I would love to have your beignet with delicious cinnamon icing sugar! pack some for me dear!
Bag full of good wishes from naked Santa (haha)!
May joy and happiness snow on you, may the bells jingle for you and may Santa be extra good to you! Merry Christmas and A Very Happy New Year to you and all your loved ones!
Love always!

Megan@foodalution.com said...

Merry Christmas Darling! Mmmmm what a delicious treat! Wishing you a beautiful day filled with love! And Santa did not bring me boots.... but he did bring me a new camera!! Whooo hooo! xoxo Megs

Roxan said...

Mmm, these look amazing! I love beignets and haven't had any in several years since I was in new orleans. Thank you for the recipe, I'd love to make some. Merry Christmas!

Cheah said...

Kristy, they look good, something like 'ham chin peng'.

MaryMoh said...

I thought they are donuts....haha. I think they can be made into donut rings, too, right? These would be so lovely for parties. But frying in the house here is no joke especially in winter. All the smell gets trapped in the house...hmmm. Hope you have a lovely festive season there. It's still school holiday there so you must be busy cooking everyday. Take care. May all your wishes for 2011 come true. Hugs. Mary

Brownieville Girl said...

They look skrummy!

Happy Christmas :-}

Trix said...

If you are ever in New Orleans you must go to Cafe du Monde and have the beignets with cafe au lait - one of my very favorite sweets in the world! Yours look lovely as well - I think they would hold their own with those classics. They look crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, just as they should!

Claudia said...

Your look lighter than mine. I want yours.

Miriam said...

My husband is sitting with me reading this post and begging me to make these for him...I just might have to :) We ARE huge beignet fans! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

21st Century Housewife© said...

Oh my these look wonderful! I liked your tutorial on how to make them as well - excellent photographs and instructions. I also love the cinnamon sugar topping - yum!

Heavenly Housewife said...

These look soooooooooooo good. I want to come over and gobble these all up!
*kisses* HH

Martha (MM) said...

Yum! Wish I had a little plate full of these right now, they would hit the spot for sure! Thanks for liking theses up to Tailgating Time too :-)

Debbie said...

My first experience with authentic beignet was at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans...awesome! They are easy to make at home, however, just as you have shown. Happy New Year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...