Thursday, April 25, 2013
Chocolate Danish Pastry With Custard
So, here's what I did.
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm milk
3-1/2 tspn yeast
1 tspn sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
(combine & mix well, set aside to rest for 30 mins)
2 cups bread flour
1-1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tspn salt
2 medium eggs
3 TB cold butter, chopped
(1) combine all ingredients (B) into a big mixing bowl, except butter.
(2) stir in mixture (A) and stir to form a soft dough, add in butter and knead till smooth. (do not add in extra flour, rub hands with oil if possible to prevent sticky dough)
(3) once it's done, set aside to rest for an hour or till double in size.
(4) when ready, punch dough to release air and knead till smooth.
(5) now, wrap dough with plastic sheet and keep refrigerated for 30 mins.
250gm butter, soften (sorry, it's 250gm instead of 400gm)
5 TB cocoa powder
1 TB dark cocoa powder
(mix cocoa powder & soft butter till well combined. Keep mixture to a medium size plastic bag. Then keep refrigerated overnight or till set)
Ingredients for custard cream :
2 TB sugar
2 TB all purpose flour
1 tspn Singing Dog Vanilla paste
(combined everything into a saucepan and cook over low heat till thickened. Set aside to cool once it's done)
*1/2 cup blueberry sauce/jam
*egg glazing (1 beaten egg)
TO ASSEMBLE :
Refer here for folding method.
Finally, roll dough flat to a 24x15" size sheet and divide into 18 portions. Then again keep refrigerated for another 30 mins.
Now, withdraw dough from fridge then slightly flatten each dough by rolling pin. Brush dough with egg glaze at all corners then fold them over facing inside. Brush egg glazing over the dough and let them rest for 30 mins.
Finally, place custard & blueberry sauce on top and bake at preheated oven 200'C for about 18-20 mins or till nicely brown & crispy. Best to dust the top with icing sugar before serving.
Tips : always keep dough refrigerated after each folding. this will helps to slow down the proving process.
I'm sending this to Yeastspotting @ Wild Yeast.