Jade Emperor in heaven on this day. Further stories can be found here. 'bai tian gong' is normally held on the 8th day midnight, just like Chinese New Year celebration. I am cantonese & hubby is hakka, so we didn't celebrate it. We didn't joined any of our friends caused too tired to stay awake late at night....probably the sign of getting old huh! haha..... Hubby & I actually just came back from our camping trip 2 days ago. And I am now busy tidying and so much more to do at home. I'm also busy making us some homecook meal as well and managed to bake a cake yesterday. Its an Indon bingka embon, which also called as bika embon. This lovely Indonesia kuih or cake looks just like our old fashion steamed Ma Lai Go & here..But the used of coconut milk & tapioca flour makes it so much tastier and fragrant.
And here's what I did.
For starter dough
1 tspn sugar
80gm all purpose flour
1 TB + 1/2 tspn yeast
(mix well and leave to rest for an hour or till double in size)
For main dough
3 pandan leaves
1 stalk lemongrass, cut & roughly pounded the edge
350ml coconut milk
120gm tapioca flour
a pinch of salt
(1) heat coconut milk & salt together with pandan leaves & lemongrass till fragrant without boiling it, then add in butter and remove the leaves & lemongrass, leave to cool.
(2) once the starter dough is ready, beat in sugar till well combined.
(3) then beat in eggs till light and follow by tapioca flour & alternately with coconut milk mixture, beat slow till well mixed.
(4) now, pour batter to a greased 9" tray and set aside to ferment for 2-1/2 hours.
(5) once its ready, bake at preheated oven 180'C for 15 mins (cover the top with aluminium foil loosely) then lower to 150-160'C for another 50-60 mins or till brown (without the aluminium foil).
(6) leave to cool before slicing.
sago flour is used on some bika embon recipe as well and many may requested only egg yolks. Guess, that's make such a different causing a magnificent texture to be formed. Hopefully, will be able to try the other recipe soon. Enjoy guys & have fun !