rendang or ayam masak lemak which is thick and dry, masak kurma has soup like gravy. This is such a irresistible dish to serve at anytime. I bet your guests will ask for more.
And here's what I did.
1 kg chicken, cut small (15 drumstick)
1-1/2 TB turmeric powder
300ml coconut milk
4 cups water
salt to taste
1 TB sugar
1 large turmeric leaf, thinly sliced
3 stalk lemongrass, take only the white part & smashed
2 pieces asam keping
Blended paste :
3 TB kurma mixed powder, toasted (I used readymixed)
5 candlenut / buah keras, slightly toasted
5 cloves garlic
1 large onion
1" galangal / blue ginger
15 bird eye chilies
(blend into paste)
(1) wash & clean chicken thoroughly then cut into bite size as desired or you may use chicken drumstick, then marinade chicken with turmeric powder and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
(2) preheat a wok with enough cooking oil for frying, then fry chicken meat till golden brown and set aside.
(3) now, preheat wok with 1/2 cup after fried cooking oil and saute lemongrass till fragrant then stir in blended paste and simmer everything till nice & fragrant.
(4) next, add in asam keping, water and coconut milk & bring it to boil for about 15 minutes over medium heat.
(6) stir in turmeric leaf till well mixed and then off the heat. And its all ready to serve.