Chai Kuih @ Steamed Teochew Dumpling

Here, let me introduce you to another delicious local delicacy which you can easily get them from almost anywhere. Chai kuih is something looks quite similar to 'har gao' but with different mixed vegetables fillings and is much cheaper compare to 'har gao'. I remembered I used to buy this kuih from a lady riding on a bicycle when I was younger. It costs about twenty cents per piece and I will request for extra sesame seeds & her special homemade chilli sauce. And now, her son has taken over her business by riding on a motorcycle. Just imagine how time flies!

Here's what I did.

Ingredients for Dumpling Skin :
150gm wheat starch (tung mein fun)
100gm tapioca flour
a pinch of salt
420gm boiling water
5-6 tbsp cooking oil
*extra oil for brushing

Method :
(1) combine both flour and salt into a big bowl.
(2) then slowly stir in boiling water with a pair of chopsticks till a sticky dough is formed.
(3) leave dough aside covered, to slightly cool.
(4) add in oil little by little and knead till a smooth dough is formed.

Once the dough is ready, divide dough into 26-30 portions. Flatten each dough and place in the jicama fillings or char siew fillings. And make sure the dough is nicely sealed.

Here's the jicama fillings and vegetarian char siew fillings I prepared a days before. Yet is still the best to add in some chinese chives.

Now, preheat steamer with a cheese cloth place on the steamer rack. Arrange all the dumplings onto the rack once the steamer is ready and then steam for 10-12 mins.

HOT...HOT...HOT.... watch out the heat from the steamer! Oh, I just love it hot. Remove all the cooked dumplings to a plate and brush on a little oil to prevent sticking together.

Some 'chai kuih' recipes may required for glutinous rice flour but I would preferred to go without it cause I wanted the skin looks more translucent and shinny.
I'm sending this to 3 Hungry Tummies @ Muhibbah Malaysia Monday.
(asian cuisines, dumpling, chinese food, snack)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...