Thursday, October 20, 2011

Kurtos Kalacs @ Chimney Cake

Now what is Kurtos Kalacs? Kurtos Kalacs is actually a traditional Hungarian pastry which also called as Chimney Cake. It is originated from Transylvania. Just like those coffee cake which the bread topping covered with loads of sweet frosting, so it is called a cake eventhough it is a bread. I first learned about this pastry just a week ago from a Taiwan TV commercial. They have introduced this lovely bread or cake. I then quickly google about it. Getting really excited! You may refer here for more info as well.



See, how I prepared my own pins! Wrap both sides of the wooden pin with foil to prevent from heating. Then cover the centre with greaseproof paper, so that the cakes can be removed easily. Below is a 9" baking tray with clips on both sides to fix the position. Yeasted dough is then used to wrap around the wooden pin, next cover dough with loads of sugar. Finally, barbecue the dough till the crust turned crispy brown. After that, coat the crust with desire nuts, scented powder or coconut.
Ingredients :
500gm bread flour
200ml warm milk
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp yeast
2 eggs, beaten
5 tbsp corn oil
1/3 tspn salt

Method :
(1) combine milk, sugar & yeast in a bowl and leave aside for 5 mins or till bubbling.
(2) in another big bowl, combine flour and salt then mix well.
(3) make a hole in the centre, add in oil, eggs and milk mixture.
(4) stir to combine then knead by hand till smooth. Do not add in extra flour if the dough is sticky, add in a few drops of oil if needed.
(5) then set aside to rest for about an hour or till double in size.
(6) once it's ready, place dough onto working table (please do not use extra flour on the working table). Knead dough till smooth and divide into 6 portion.
(7) roll each into a string then roll it to the prepared rolling pin.
(8) then slightly roll to press the dough & coat with sugar.
(9) finally, bake at preheated oven 190-200'C. Roll the pin gradually so that the colour of the crust is balance. Brush the crust with some honey when half way thru.
(10) once the baking is done, coat the crust with desire additional flavour.



FINALLY.......! So this is how it is actually taste like. It is also best to spread on some nutella or peanut butter to the inner ring of the cake. Really tasty. I made about one kilo of flour (12 rings) and everything gone by the next day.

Hope you guys will love this too.
(bread, cake, hungarian cuisine, snack)

43 comments:

garden at nina place said...

Absolutely a must try recipe!

Emily Malloy said...

Whoa! I have never seen anything like this in my life!

Amaaazing!

Shannon @ JustAsDelish said...

What an interesting springy bread, it looks familiar like I've seen it somewhere.. looking at your photo at midnight makes me tummy growl.. wish i could have this for breakfast!

divya said...

Oh My God. i'm simply drooling here. Wonderful presentation.

Pam said...

Oh my gosh! This is new to me and it looks like a fantastic treat! Need to try it soon.

Belinda @zomppa said...

I LOVE this!! What a great cake - so unusual and beautiful.

Barbara Bakes said...

Such a great idea! It looks so delicious and fun!

Sylvia@peachesanddonuts said...

WOW!!! I know I'll love this!!! Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside...it's just how i like it!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is a marvelous treat which I'd love to taste! Really original.

Cheers,

Rosa

cikmanggis said...

cantik dan kreatif sekali:)

Elin said...

That is cute...hahaha Kristy you really very geng leh :) Kudos to you..chimney cake or rather it looks that those bracelet those olden days, women wears around their neck to have their neck make longer for beauty purposes :) Looks great and I bet it must be tasty too.

Have a nice day,
Elin

Zoe said...

This is VERY impressive! I can't believe that you came out with this cooking idea! You are a genius!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

The recipe itself is just a basic bread recipe but the idea of roll into rolling pin is very impressive! and look beautiful!

cik cek said...

WoW!
Cantik...menarik..tertarik...:D

Ann said...

Delicious! What a fun thing to serve! I bet everyone was impressed!

Cheah said...

Wow, you're amazing Kristy, plentiful of ideas! Thumbs up!

Small Kucing said...

very good idea :)

Yummy Bakes said...

Wow ... what is this? It looks very delicious.

Jeannie said...

Wow! So much work! But must be worth it since it's gone so quick! Look very good too! I like the photos!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个太特别了!!!
我喜欢它的造型:)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh wow Kristy, this is so special! I admit I always learn something new when I visit your blog! You are always so good in coming up new and delicious dishes that are not seen in other blogs. If there's an award for innovation and creativity, I'll hand it to you my friend. :) you know I was imagining myself eating the spiral cake non stop from tip to tip, lol!

lena said...

wow, wow!! this is really brilliant to work with your rolling pins for these rolls! do they taste like donut? i know i 've said this many times , you're a really fantastic baker, kristy!!

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Kristy, wow this looks extremely delicious. Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely evening.

Betty said...

hello kristy, what a good.
delicious and special preparation for this, I'd like to try!
a hug and good day.

Betty

Lyndsey said...

I know this wouldn't last very long at my house either! I would love this, and want a bite right now! :) You are so MacGyver-like here rigging up your rolling pins like that!
Have a wonderful evening! Put you feet up, I know you deserve that!

Mary said...

This fascinates me. I've never seen this before and you've made me very curious. I hope all is well. Things are great here. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Alice Law said...

O-M-Gut! These are beautiful, seriously, it look so enticing! Thx for the recipe Kristy!

Blackswan said...

Your photography skill is getting better each time I drop by. Your food is making me drool, Lol!

Kristy, I'd submitted my Creepy Halloween Pumpkin Treats for a Recipe Challenge. I'd appreciate a minute of your time to hop over to VOTE for my entry. Voting closes 24 Oct 2011. I thank you for your votes & appreciate your kind gesture!

Nammi said...

Hi kristy!!, wow very creative making that cake, looks delicious too, have a nice week end

Angie's Recipes said...

How cute this looks! Love the ring shape.

Ah Tze said...

This is really special way of making these cake!! Like the idea of using the rolling pins to create the shape of the ring cake! Your cake looks tempting!

Winnie said...

Stunning!!
We love to eat it, but I've never tried to make it at home.
I know it's delicious!!

Anonymous said...

This look REALLY GOOD!!

Rebecca from Chow and Chatter said...

wow this is just too cool way to go Kristy

edith said...

How do you BBQ the dough? Do you put it in the BBQ pit and cover it?

My Little Space said...

Edith : No I did not bbq my dough. I grilled them in my oven. haha.... The original method is to bbq the dough but it's too troublesome. I don't purposely just go & set up a bbq fire stand for this.lol! :o) Using oven is easier to handle.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

These Chimney Cakes look wonderful - and what a great tutorial on how to make them! Thank you for sharing another wonderful recipe with Let's Do Brunch.

Bizzy B. Bakes said...

This is spectacular and I am featuring it at Bake with Bizzy. Thanks for constantly inspiring me.

Chimney Sweep Portland said...

My kids and I love nutella so much. I'd really love to try it on this one:-)

Lousam said...

What a great method to having a go at making Kurtos..... For those who are looking to produce more, maybe as a business to sell to the public, check out my web site: www.kurtos-kalacs.com Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I have found a very similar recipe and some additional info on this pastry here: http://zsobig.hubpages.com/hub/Kurtoskalacs-aka-Chimney-Cake
I hope you like it!

Lousam said...

Kurtoskalacs or Chimney cake is a much loved European food... My recipe is slightly different as I don't add eggs. I fell in love with the product so much, that I now have my own business making and selling kurtoskalacs ovens, accessories and Kurtos Kalacs EASY mix. We ship all over the world and have helped many people establish their own businesses... www.kurtos-kalacs.com

A to Z - food and travel said...

Your Kürtős kalács look great, like the originals. I just love them, especially topped with ground walnuts or cinnamon. I use to eat one of them daily when I go for Holidays to Romania (Transylvania), no matter how many calories they have. Now that I see your fabulous chimney cakes I cannot wait to go there again.

Have a nice day!

Andrea

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...