Kurtos Kalacs? Kurtos Kalacs is actually a traditional Hungarian pastry which also called as Chimney Cake. It is originated from Transylvania. Just like those coffee cake which the bread topping covered with loads of sweet frosting, so it is called a cake eventhough it is a bread. I first learned about this pastry just a week ago from a Taiwan TV commercial. They have introduced this lovely bread or cake. I then quickly google about it. Getting really excited! You may refer here for more info as well.
500gm bread flour
200ml warm milk
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp yeast
2 eggs, beaten
5 tbsp corn oil
1/3 tspn salt
(1) combine milk, sugar & yeast in a bowl and leave aside for 5 mins or till bubbling.
(2) in another big bowl, combine flour and salt then mix well.
(3) make a hole in the centre, add in oil, eggs and milk mixture.
(4) stir to combine then knead by hand till smooth. Do not add in extra flour if the dough is sticky, add in a few drops of oil if needed.
(5) then set aside to rest for about an hour or till double in size.
(6) once it's ready, place dough onto working table (please do not use extra flour on the working table). Knead dough till smooth and divide into 6 portion.
(7) roll each into a string then roll it to the prepared rolling pin.
(8) then slightly roll to press the dough & coat with sugar.
(9) finally, bake at preheated oven 190-200'C. Roll the pin gradually so that the colour of the crust is balance. Brush the crust with some honey when half way thru.
(10) once the baking is done, coat the crust with desire additional flavour.
(bread, cake, hungarian cuisine, snack)