Monday, October 31, 2011

Stir Fried Radish Cake @ Chai Tou Kueh

Can't believe it myself! I am making my own stir fried radish cake. Stir fried radish cake is a common street food and also dim sum dish over here. Honestly, I can easily buy this from the nearby stall for just RM2.50 per packet. And I love it spicy and also with extra red sweet sauce. Hmm...mmmm... salivating just by mentioning it! haha..... Well, this post is actually a special dedication to Elra under her special request. So, are you ready?

Homemade Radish Cake
Ingredients : (serve 4)
(A)
300-400gm   shredded radish
250ml   water
1 tbsp   sugar
1 tspn   salt

(B)
200gm   rice flour
2 tbsp    wheat starch(tung fun)
250ml   water

Method :
(1) combine ingredients (B) and mix well then set aside.
(2) next bring ingredients (A) to boil and let it simmer till soft.
(3) then combine both ingredients (A) & (B) together and mix well.
(4) place mixture to an oil base 7" tray, then steam for 30-35mins.
(5) leave cool completely before cutting into small portion.

You can either cut them into smaller portions or in this way.

Ingredients for stir fried radish cake :
(for half portion of the above radish cake)
1 tbsp  sesame oil
2 tbsp  cooking oil
2 tbsp  chopped garlic
2 tbsp  preserved chopped radish/Chai poh
2/3 tbsp  dark soy sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tbsp  fish sauce
2 tbsp   caramel dark soy sauce
a dash of pepper
100gm   bean sprouts, cleaned
handful of chopped spring onion 
* 1 tbsp  chili paste (for spicy version)

Method :
(1) preheat a non stick frying pan with sesame oil & cooking oil.
(2) stir in garlic & preserved radish, saute till fragrant.
(3) then add in radish cake and let it simmer for about a minute. At the same time, cut cake into smaller chunks.
(4) now stir in dark soy sauce and mix well.
(5) after that add in beatened egg and let it cook till aromatic.
(6) now, add in sweet soy sauce, fish sauce, bean sprouts & pepper and stir well.
(7) off the heat, once it's done and then top with spring onion and serve.

Ta....Da.... Here's my stir fried chai tou kueh! Hope you will like it too, Kak Dewi. Enjoy!
*
I'm sending this to Shaz & Suresh @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.

38 comments:

Small Kucing said...

look very good. Very professionally done

Lyndsey said...

I love dim sum and this looks amazing Kristy! I love the deep caramel color. I wish I could try the street food over there, but I'm sure yours is better!!!

Hope your weekend was good!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I love fried carrot cake! The sweet caramelized taste is so inviting, yum! Love that you added bean sprouts to the stir fry, extra crunch texture.  will try your version next time, tks!

Ann@Anncoo Journal said...

WOW! Kristy, I think you made the best fried radish cake! Looks very delicious!!

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

This looks delicious Kristy!! YUM YUM, such a bad idea for me to see this late at night..so hungry now!

nazarina said...

You make the most delicious food!My salivation knows no bounds for this delicious radish cake!

ChrisAu said...

My favorite! It's so hard to find nowadays!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I've seen it in dim sum, but super impressed that you're doing your own - better than the restaurants!

Amy said...

This is one of my favorites! I love to make my own radish cake as the ones selling in the States are not that great. But I've never done the stir fry myself. Guess I'll try that when I make radish cake next time. Thanks for your recipe. Looks delicious and wonderful.

Sinful Sundays said...

OMG! That look so good! Do you know how to make fried carrot cake I think it's called? I had the dish when I was in China and have not seen it anywhere else. ever. i love both fried carrot and fried radish! :)

Cooking Gallery said...

Oh yum...!! Your carrot cake looks delicious! I had carrot cake when I visited Singapore a few months ago, unfortunately it was a bit mushy, I guess I just went to the wrong place!

cooking, baking, and gardening said...

I Love YOU So much Kristy!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, will make it asap. Been dreaming about it like crazy.

Kiss,
Dewi

cooking, baking, and gardening said...

Kristy,
what is dark caramel soy sauce? Is it the same like kecap manis?

Kumi said...

Kristy, I can't believe you made the radish cake yourself! It is one of my favorite.. love love love the texture of it. Yours look so delicious. I wish I was half as good as you about making things from scratch like this. Hats off.

Katherine Martinelli said...

I don't know if I've had radish cake - but this looks so good I want to try it right now!

Ann said...

Wow - that sounds SO amazing! I just can't get over it! I never knew something like that even existed...and I'm drooling, now!

3 hungry tummies said...

was craving for his but I had yam cake instead. Love it!

reanaclaire said...

wow Kristy! Can open cafe already.. sure sell like hot cakes! amazing la u... so much work...

Katerina said...

Congratulations it looks delicious!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这我煮过
我家人都好喜欢
下次我要再弄了:P

Blackswan said...

My son loves carrot cake & he likes the black one. As for my, I prefer the white ones; thin & crispy :)

Chk out my latest Come With Me On Board Finnair’s Angry Birds Asian Challenge!

penny aka jeroxie said...

Will miss this once I go back to Australia.

divya said...

Wonderfully delicious looking and yummy. Excellent preparation.

hanushi said...

You are making me hungry at this hour! :)

Angie's Recipes said...

Could I come over for the dinner? ;-)) So homey and yummy!

tigerfish said...

Chai Tou Kueh is my favorite hawker/street food!

Christine's Pantry said...

This looks good.

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Wow...you steamed your own radish cake and then fried it! A lot of work but looks so good and tasty!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

as i know those selling in pasar malam/pagi not adding radish, just plain rice cake..Your definitely look better than those pasar malam one..

Ah Tze said...

Kristy, your stir fried radish cake looks so yummylicious! It makes me remember the radish cake I used to eat during my primary school days. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Nammi said...

hi kristy, interesting dish you have here, looks like tofu :), have a nice day

Hayley said...

This is one of my favourite! Used to order this at dim sum restaurant ;)

iva | in my kitchen said...

i love this dish! but havent eaten it in a long time!

lena said...

wow, you managed to do this at home!! i love it with lots of bean sprouts!

Barbara said...

I've never tasted a radish cake, Kristy. What a super job you did!

~~louise~~ said...

How intriguing, Kristy. I've never tasted this dish either but now, I want to try it. It looks so beautiful! Someday, perhaps...

Thank you so much for sharing...

Gnoe (@Graasland) said...

Wow. I have never seen, let alone eaten radish cake! It looks good, but I dare not try my hand at this recipe. ;)

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy. I will try this. thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...