Elra's Baking. She such an inspiration and glad that she post about the bread. What is a Kolache? Kolache is actually a wedding dessert in Central of Europe, where the pastry or cake/bread dough that hold a dollop of fruit in the centre and then top with crumble topping. While Kolach is called a cake after translation. Kolach is actually a plain bread/cake. It is normally serve during special occasion especially on Christmas day or Slava. Or it may also called as Serbian Bread. I'm glad I'm learning something new again.
Ingredient for bread dough :
550gm bread flour
1 tspn salt
200nl warm milk
3 tbsp sugar
2 tspn yeast
1 tspn vanilla extract
3 tbsp corn oil/butter
(1) combine warm milk, sugar and yeast together, set aside for 10mins or till bubbling.
(2) in anohter mixing bowl combine flour & salt and mix well.
(3) add milk mixture, vanilla extract & eggs into flour to form a soft dough.
(4) then lastly add in oil and knead to smooth then leave to rest for an hour or till double in size.
(5) now, place dough to a slightly floured working table and knead till the dough turned smooth.
(6) next, divide dough into 12 portion and shape them into balls, then let them rest on the table for 5 mins.
(7) slightly flatten the dough then place them to baking tray, then press the centre of the dough with a muffin cup to form a pie crust.
(8) fill the centre with desired fruits jam or anything if possible, brush all sides with butter or egg white then top with crumble topping. Then rest for 20-30mins.
(9) finally, bake at preheated oven at 185'C for about 20 mins.
homemade tangerine marmalade and also some black cherry jam. They're really delicious.
Ingredients for crumble topping :
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp butter, cold
(1) combine sugar and flour together then mix well.
(2) rub in butter till everything well combined.
(3) keep refrigerated before used.