Thursday, August 25, 2011

Homemade Tangerine Marmalade

Like every year, it's ghost festival here and everyone is still busy preparing the prayer (which lasted for one month under Chinese lunar calender)....to pay respect to the hungry ghosts and to our ancestors as well. I did mine 2 weeks ago and have loads of leftover tangerines after the prayer. The only way to clear them up is to transform them into marmalade! So, what are we waiting for....lets go ahead.

Ingredients :
8 cups sliced fresh tangerine
4 cups water
1kg sugar
4-5 fresh lemon
2 tbsp citric acid powder (optional)

Method :
(1) combine sliced tangerine, sugar and water into a big pot.
(2) squeeze in the lemon juice and then chuck in all the unused lemon.

(3) bring it to boil and let it go on for about 30 mins, then switch to medium heat and continue boiling till mixture is thickened.
(4) stir in citric acid and mix well, at the same time press lemon skin to release natural pectin and then remove it from the pot.

(5) off the heat once the marmalade is ready.
(6) keep all the marmalade into clean bottles/jars. Please follow the bottling & sealing method from here.

Don't they look super gorgeous! I have reduced quite a large portion of sugar from this recipe and it tastes as fabulous. I bet my mom going to be so craving for this.

Since tangerine has very soft skin, so we don't need to soak them before cooking it unlike lemons and oranges. The colour of this marmalade looks simply amazing and delightful. I love it on my toast very much. No wonder my mom said homemade jam always the best.
(tangerine marmalade, jam, sauce)

36 comments:

Small Kucing said...

My MIL also used to make this

Claudia said...

If I was a ghost - I would feel respected. As a human, I'm now just yearning for some.

Ana Rita said...

Guess who is going to try this recipe???MEEEEE....

Thanks for sharing,
Rita

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

That sounds really good, I have masses of quinces at the moment!! Diane

Heavenly Housewife said...

I happen to love tangerine marmalade, but its not that easy to find. What a beautiful job you've done. I wish you could give me some.
*kisses* HH

Gloria said...

This tangerine marmalade look yummm! love the colour! gloria

Pegasuslegend said...

marmalade heaven this looks great!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Looks wonderful! Would love some on a slice of toast right about now... :)

Rebecca from Chow and Chatter said...

oh lovely marmalade have fun at the festival no baby as yet I am on my due date today
pray he comes soon Kristy

reanaclaire said...

wow..never tasted homemade tangerine before.. very nicely made!

Jeannie said...

I love your homemade jam, the color is so appealing, will bookmark this:D

divya said...

Wow...delicious recipe...lovely clicks..

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Look super good and the golden color is so nice. Wish I can have some to spread on my toast.

alison said...

so delicious!:)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh I just love the sweet golden jam you made! My mum & in law's did most of the praying, so I don't have so much left over fruits. But will keep it in mind and use this recipe next time. Thanks Kristy! 

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

你的家人
真有口福
你的厨艺
太棒了^^

Anncoo said...

Kristy, The jam looks pretty in colour and looks to tempting. Please keep a bottle for me :D

Blackswan said...

Hand-made Jam? They look absolutely gorgeous! Preparing for a party, eh??

~~louise~~ said...

Oh I'm glowing and puckering at the same time, Kristy. Your Homemade Tangerine Marmalade looks heavenly!!!

Thank you so much for sharing...

Jen (Tastes of Home) said...

Your marmalade looks gorgeous! :)

Belinda @zomppa said...

This would make anyone (or anything) happy! I love this flavor!

Alice Law said...

YUM, I bet it'll be good to hv with any English pastry!^^

Angie's Recipes said...

Homemade tastes the best!

Christine's Pantry said...

Sounds great.

Von said...

That sounds like a lot of tangerines! haha...I've heard of ghost festival before, but I've never seen any celebrations- what do you do during the festival? The marmalade looks delicious too! I've never made marmalade before...

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

just wonder how you managed to slice it so thin and neat,,,Thanks for the idea, next CNY leftover tangerines, i know what to do. Happy Holidays my friend!

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

I love orange marmalade, Kristy, and yours looks delicious. Your recipe keeps such a nice bright orange color. I know this would be wonderful on a slice of homemade bread.

lena said...

lovely colour and texture! i can see that you're already a professional jam maker!!

Megan@foodalution.com said...

HI Kristy! Yes.... They do look gorgeous! Beautiful jars of sun! xoxo
Have a wonderful weekend!
Megan

Shirley said...

Great recipe Kristy! Have a lovely weekend.

Quay Po Cooks said...

Kristy, I am sure this will taste far better than the orange marmalade. I drink lots of tangerine juice when I am in Bangkok and love it. I know I am going to love this. Can you imagine how diving this will be be to spread this on a freshly baked scone? Woot! Woot!

My Little Space said...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for visiting and spending your valueable time here with me. Gosh, I am so far behind. I think I have to skip one to one answer for just a while. Am trying.....trying hard to catch up with all of you. Don't worried, I'll be there!

Hope you're all having a great weekend.

Btw, for those of you who are living in Florida! Do take care and may god bless you all.

Blessings, Kristy

Magic of Spice said...

What a gorgeous marmalade Kristy...love tangerines :)

nancy at good food matters said...

ALL of your marmalades, jams, and curds are so beautifully presented. Tangerine would make an excellent one. I enjoyed learning about the ghost festival!

penny aka jeroxie said...

I love marmalade. So simple to make but so delicious.

Sutapa said...

Open a virtual store dear I bet you will get client from all over the world! Outstanding!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...