I don't quite remember whether if there's whipping cream available in the 70's over here! I don't even remember if my parents ever bought a fresh cream cake for my birthday. All I can remember, whatever the birthday cake I have eaten during that time was a butter cake with loads of butter icing cream. Unlike this days, we have so many to choose from.
I'm sure this cake will brings back loads of sweet memories.
(Recipes adapted from here)
Ingredients for Butter Cake :
227gm butter, softened
1-1/4 cup sugar
6 eggs white (or 220gm)
3 cups all purpose flour
4 tspn baking powder
1/2 tspn salt
1-1/4 cup milk
2 tspn homemade vanilla extract
(1) combine flour, baking powder & salt in a big bowl.
(2) cream butter and sugar untill light & fluffy.
(3) whisk in egg white one by one untill everything well mixed.
(4) now, stir in vanilla and 1/3 of milk and mix in low speed, alternately add in flour mixture and milk, in 3 additions.
(5) divide batter evenly into 2 x 8" pan, well coated with butter & flour.
(6) finally, bake at preheated oven at 180'C for about 35-45mins or untill the cake tester comes out clean.
(7) keep refrigerated for 30 mins after cooled, before dividing into layers.
Thanks to another special sponsor, finally I have the cake divider to do the job for me. The divider works really well especially NO more falling crumbs! *wink* And of course, hassle free. Just look at the perfect smooth layers. Don't you love to own one too! It only cost RM12.00 per unit. Errrr....excuse me, this is NOT a sponsored post ya! :o)
Ingredients for Old Fashion Butter Frosting :
250gm butter, softened
6 cups icing sugar, shifted
150ml whipping cream
2 tspn strawberry emulco
1 tbsp lemon juice
*red food colouring
Filling : Strawberry Curd
(1) beat butter and sugar till combined.
(2) whisk in whipping cream untill smooth & creamy.
(3) now, add in strawberry emulco & lemon juice and mix well.
(4) remove about 2 cups of cream into another bowl, then add in a two drops of red food colouring and mix to combine. And place it into a piping bag.
TO ASSEMBLE :
(1) place one layer of sponge onto a display tray, spread on the cream evenly and then follow by spreading on a thin layer of strawberry curd.
(2) repeat the abovemention method untill finished.
(3) and then spread the cream evenly all over the cake.
(4) keep the cake refrigerated for 30 mins before continue on the final decorations with the red piping cream.
I still think the frosting is far too sweet for me, but overall I enjoy the cake very much. Probably, I will replace the frosting by using the swiss meringue cream next round. Can't wait to try that soon! Enjoy.
(cake, butter icing cream, strawberry cake, strawberry curd,)