Monday, August 29, 2011

Ham Sui Kok @ Deep Fried Savory Dumpling

Ham sui kok is also one of many dishes often seen in any dim sum restaurants. This is something we wouldn't want to miss. I just love the sweet delicious crispy crust with those juicy delicious fillings so much. Doesn't it sound so irresistible to you too! Besides, it doesn't cost much either and only very little ingredients are used. Come on lets join me for the fun.

Ingredients for dumpling skin :
(Recipe adapted from here)
(A)
2/3 cup wheat starch (tung mein fun)
2/3 cup boiling water
(stir boiling water into wheat starch slowly till combined, as shown as below picture)

(B)
2 cups glutinous rice flour
3/4 to 1 cup water
5 tbsp sugar

Method :
(1) add ingredients (B) into (A) and then knead till a soft & smooth dough is formed.
(2) then divide into 18-20 portions dough balls.
(3) flatten each dough by using a flat knife or dough cutter (by pressing).
(4) place in fillings and then seal nicely.
(5) finally, deep fried them till golden brown.



Ingredients for jicama fillings :
200-300gm jicama, shredded (one small size)
1 carrot, shredded
1 inch fresh ginger, cut into strips
salt & pepper
1 tspn vegetarian oyster sauce

Method :
(1) preheat frying pan with a little oil.
(2) fry ginger till brown and then add in jicama & carrot.
(3) off the heat after simmer for about 2 mins.
(4) stir in salt & pepper and the sauce, mix well.
(5) cool to room temperature before used.

It's best to be served while it's still hot. The crust is simply irresistible but be caution that the filling is very very hot. Well. this sure perfect for the winter!

I used vegetarian char siew in my recipe but you can replace it with meat char siew. Vegetarian char siew is actually something made of flour & soybeans and isn't too bad at all.


I also used very simple jicama filling which included shredded jicama, carrot & ginger. For a pure Buddhist vegetarian, they're not encourage to take garlic & onion in their cooking. It is believe that garlic & onion will cause the arises of mentality desire, or eager for something badly.
*
I'm sending this to 3 Hungry Tummies @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.

38 comments:

Quay Po Cooks said...

Kristy, it has been ages since I have eaten this dumplings. I actually have forgotten all about it. This looks simple to make and I think I can handle that. Thanks for the reminder and the recipe.

shaz@feedingmykidsbetter said...

Wow.. This is the kind of dish I don't have the courage to attempt. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Katherine Martinelli said...

Mmmm dumplings are my favorite and these look so good!!! You make them look so easy too. Thanks for all the kind comments on my blog :-)

Sinful Sundays said...

I could go for some dumplings right now. These look fantastic!

Pegasuslegend said...

These look as creative to make as they are delicious to eat!

Jen (Tastes of Home) said...

Your version looks great! Definitely hunger inducing hehe

Tina said...

Glad you posted this, these make great appetizers and I love the jimaca and carrot filling-yum!

Ann said...

this is amazing! The rice flower is so bright and beautiful! i bet they were delicious! Thanks for making them!

Lyndsey said...

Thanks I would love to join you! Yum! These look awesome Kristy. So do you have a lot of baking planed? I am still behind on my blogging, so I'm using my husband's computer. :D Have a great day!

Lyndsey

Heavenly Housewife said...

Oh they look lovely, so crispy and delicious!
*kisses* HH

Elra's cooking and baking said...

YUM! I love anything fried :)

Amelia's De-ssert said...

yum yum, haven't eat this for a long time.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love dumplings, and yours sound fabulous. I don't buy/eat jicama often enough!

Belinda @zomppa said...

You make them so perfect - the skin looks perfectly textured.

cherry potato said...

很久没吃了,也从来没动手做过这咸水角。你做得很美,如果我是你家人,肯定被你养得白白胖胖的。

Small Kucing said...

ooo...i never had these before. Normally just the spicy karipap.

Btw, if you have the time, do drop by Veronica's blog http://quaypocooks.blogspot.com/2011/08/give-and-you-shall-receive.html . She is trying to help an Old Folks home. Maybe you can help spread the word?.

Thanks

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我好久没吃这个了,看到你的,特别想念:)
DAISO和100YEN在一般商场都有喔,你住哪个区呢?

reanaclaire said...

It has been a long time since I took these.. wonder whether that restaurant is still selling these ham kok or not.. but surely homemade ones are better!

Shu Han said...

i've not had this before! but they remind me of fried soon kueh, which i love!

Angie's Recipes said...

A must have when you have a breakfast in a Cantonese restaurant!!

Megan said...

Morning Kristy! Probably afternoon where you are! oooohh delicious.... these look awesome! Thanks for stopping by last week - yes, we are well..keeping busy, I have a big cake week coming up, lots to bake! I wish I had some of these little dumplings to snack on though...it would make a great treat! xoxo ~ Megan

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

I know I would love those crispy little dumplings, Kristy. The jicama, carrot filling would be my choice too.

Jeannie said...

You are very good at making these little dumplings Kristy, I would love to give this a try too, looks easy enough:P....I hope!

lena said...

hi kristy, this is a must order dim sum at the restaurant..yeah, their skin is simply irresistable..always love to eat these!! Happy holidays, you balik kampung kah?

Cheah said...

This is one item that we'll not miss whenever we have dim sum. Must try making this one of these days.

Elra's cooking and baking said...

Yummy! I love this fried dumplings.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh Kristy, I'm salivating when looking at your Ham Sui Kok dumplings....:P Love them, and haven't eat them for awhile now, will try your recipe, thanks! have a super duper holiday Kristy!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

actually i never seen this kind of dumpling serve in dim sum restaurant, anyway, i know i will love this as it look very similar like a kuih that i like " chi cho in Hokkien". Next time i want to try out making chi cho using your dough recipes. Thanks for sharing my friend. Have a lovely holidays.

Sandi said...

Very nice pictures, great job!

Rosita Vargas said...

I love delicious fillings, they look absolutely spectacular, hugs

Zoe said...

Surprisingly being Asian, I've not tried this delicious food before. This looks so delicious.

Pamela said...

Hi Kristy! Lovely dough, very interesting and different way to make the dumplings to what I am used to, I will love to try this.

¿did you understand my recipe of tortillas?, hope it was of some use.

Love, Pamela

Sutapa said...

Kristy delicious dumpling we make similar things but they are stuffed with coconut and sugar called pittha.
We offer them to God. But your one is
something that I can offer to all my guest during the coming festival and surprise them easily!

Swathi said...

Delicious. Looks easy to make, love the savory dumplings, fried make it more tasty. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

Swathi said...

We will be appreciate if you put a worded or picture link of Hearth and soul blog hop in your post.

Magic of Spice said...

Fantastic dumplings! I do love dumplings and your jcama, carrot and ginger is calling to me :)

Emily said...

Your ham sui kok look great, crispy and delicious. May I know the weight in gram for 2/3 cup of wheat starch and 2 cups of glutinous rice flour? TQ so much

My Little Space said...

Hi Emily,
Thanks so much for visiting. For the conversation, you can go as follow to check on it.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking

Hope you'll get what you looking for!

All the best
Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...